Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireridge
    replied
    Is the panel your talking about a dodge? Cause if it is I think I’d rather go with barn doors

Leave a comment:

• Fireridge
    replied
    No Bruce the one I’m looking at is a shell in manatoba

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Fireridge - I hope that carryall is not the one I had my eye on. Army green and east of Alberta with a panel parked beside it. I suspect you could cut the bottom off and modify to fit, depends on your skill level. - I hear the bottom hinges are different than the WC53 but have no idea how accurate that is.

Leave a comment:

• Fireridge
    replied
    Congrats on the article Alex!!

Leave a comment:

• Fireridge
    replied
    Hi guys finally got my 53 delivered the guy lost the drivers side hood on the way up from Idaho kinda sucks but oh well I found a carryall 1/2ton with complete tailgate would you guys think I could retrofit it to fit my 3/4ton thanks

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Thanks for the compliments guys! The article looks even better in print, as it is part of a special magazine that is produced along with the newspaper and the online edition.
    I have attached the last page of the magazine as they used an image from my truck project for it.

0420191516a - Copy.jpg

Did some car show stuff on Saturday. Was a nice day locally. Man I love driving this thing,.. these XMLs just purr along and ride so smooth on good pavement. The turbo just has this nice little spool to it. The most satisfying sound though is when the truck hits overdrive and I let off the throttle about the same time and the waste gate dumps... ohhhhh its so pleasant!

IMG_20190420_185805_263.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris Olson
    replied
    I loved the story

Leave a comment:

• Cheyenne Dave
    replied
    Inspiring!

...and may I suggest a title for the portrait:

"AMERICAN GOTHIC GARAGE"

A classic, just like the truck

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Nice looking Carryall and a great looking couple :) good on you Alex.

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Newspaper / periodical article about a Carryall... :D

https://pilotonline.com/distinction/...d104b3f67.html

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Welcher PWA
    commented on 's reply
    This is a beautiful WC53, Thank you so much for sharing. Keep us all in the loop on your build. Thank you for joining!

• Alxj64
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    Good to hear from you Alex - and I agree the Allison is the way to go. What years would a person be looking for if they went the Allison route?
    Heres the thing about the Allison's that a lot of folks don't realize, they can be run stand alone with an Industrial controller so long as you can find an Allison Dealer (not GM Dealership, but Industrial type) to turn off a few switches in a program called DOC.

For a 5 speed, Find an '01 to '06 Duramax with a 2WD if you want to run a divorced T-case... Or get a 4WD but you will need to stick with the GM transfercase or have the dealer program your TCM to recognize the pulse sensor for your Hall sensor in the T-case output.
    For a 6 speed, you'll want an '07 - '10 for ease of TCM. You can actually make a 5 speed into a 6 speed by changing the valve body and the TCM from an A2K.
    You'll want an Allison 2000 Bellhousing, and you'll need to swap the 2k Bell with your Duramax bell... Keep track of ALL of the exact bolts and their positions as they are specific lengths and some have specific sealing washers under the heads.
    You'll need an INDUSTRIAL Allison 1000 ECM, the GM Duramax one won't work in this manner (some guys are paying a company called Destroked to reflash)... $$$$
    Last two key pieces are the harness connectors and a fly by wire throttle pedal that you can attach you mechanical linkage to if you are running a mechanical engine. There are two harness ends, one is the input / body chassis controls and signals and the other is the transmission side of inputs and outputs back to the TCM. Usually nothing needs to be done with the Transmission side other than maybe shortening leads depending on how close the TCM was to the transmission in the original truck. The body side just needs a few inputs, which are power, ground, Neut/P sensor, and then a few wires from the fly by wire pedal to tell the transmission throttle position so that it can essentially predict kick down, TC lockup, coast, etc.
    The above sounds like a lot

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    replied
    If you were going after an auto that would definitely be the one to aim for. The main reason I used the NV4500 (the pre '95 Chevy 2WD version) was it was also just short enough to fit in front of the stock transfer case. I've been told the ZF is also short enough for that, as is the Eaton that Charles Talbert likes to use. That was my first choice but how to mount them behind the 4BT is not as well documented and how Charles does it is part of his secret sauce, but it's strong, small, usually cheap, and you could get a 0.69:1 OD gear.

If you're going with a later transfer case and want to row your own then the NV5600 or later 6-speeds used behind the Cummins RAM also become options, they're longer, but the 5600 basically just added a gear between 2 and 3 to take some of the pain out of that shift.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Good to hear from you Alex - and I agree the Allison is the way to go. What years would a person be looking for if they went the Allison route?
    Desoto - I had the adapter for the Ford ZF- lots of folks wanted it - I had no clue the ZF would fit at the time.

ZF 6 SPEED RATIOS
    1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th R
    5.79 - 1 ...3.30 - 1 ...2.10 - 1 ...1.31 -1 ...1.00 -1 ...0.72 - 1 ...5.23 - 1
    NV4500 TRANSMISSION RATIOS

Application 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th R
    1994 - 2005 Ram Cummins diesel
    1995+ GMC/Chevrolet 6.5L diesel
    5.61 : 1 ...3.04 : 1 ...1.67 : 1 ...1.00 : 1 ...0.75 : 1 ...5.61 : 1*

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Now that I know all the things I know about an Allison 1000, I think I'll stick with running those behind these little diesels. The 6 speed may be the next one I use (granted I do have a Road Ranger 10 speed set aside for my 453T Detroit 2 Stroke).

The project looks fun. Sorry for my slow responses lately, I've got some mess of a life lately and trucks are about the last thing I can muster the time for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X