The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and last post of this group...

So then turned the shoulders down to fit through the hole in the wheel but then there was the bevel issue. In order to get the bevel turned I ground the clearanced edge for the inner wheel face at a little bit of a bevel and then using the 3 jaw chuck was able to grab the stud at a "wobble" and then cam style machine the bevel into the stud. Worked out pretty well. Ofcourse a 4 jaw chuck and an indicator would have been better suited to offset the whole thing properly but this sufficed for this situation.

End result of the afternoon "goofing" in the shop...

And it worked!

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Wobble turning

Now that is creative- I think it needs a little star and a bookmark. Just plain cool. I would have resorted to a bit of free hand work with a grinder and a cut off wheel.
      Loaded up the two transfer cases with lubricant, no leaks. Darn cold up this way, and as a result I am not in the shop.
      Show us some pictures of the beat carryall with it's new tires, You know if you blasted those wheels and tossed on some olive drab the truck would look 25% more better....
      Nice lathe- looks well treated and maintained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        Now that is creative- I think it needs a little star and a bookmark. Just plain cool. I would have resorted to a bit of free hand work with a grinder and a cut off wheel.
        Loaded up the two transfer cases with lubricant, no leaks. Darn cold up this way, and as a result I am not in the shop.
        Show us some pictures of the beat carryall with it's new tires, You know if you blasted those wheels and tossed on some olive drab the truck would look 25% more better....
        Nice lathe- looks well treated and maintained.
        Its too darn cold down here and its in the 30s and 40s, I don't know how you handle the negative numbers and all the snow.

I have to get the other two wheels broken down and then planning on getting them blasted and painted. I'll post up some pictures once I get them mounted. I ordered new tubes for them today. Its worth the money to not have to put air in the tires everytime I want to move it because I was cheaped and re-used the tubes. $30 each isn't bad. So far all of the wheel flaps have been in fair shape too which is a plus.

The lathe is in okay shape. Previous owner hardly used it. The owner he bought it from used it for producing prototype guns under a military contract back in the '70s and '80s. Unfortunately the bed has some wear due to the use of a tool post grinder and poor cleaning. I have a replacement good bed for it but I would want to clean and paint the whole machine to get the new bed to match as its a different color, etc.

Comment

• extra lubricant in a NV4500

I was poking around the internut and find people wanting to add more lubricant to their NV4500. Adding a quart seems to keep the temperatures down in the transmission.
          The solutions to getting the oil in the transmission are varied and some quite funny. Driving the passenger side of the vehicle up on a curb , jacking up the passenger side, removing a top bolt on the PTO cover and adding the oil through the hole are some. Some attempt to squeeze the oil in and quickly replace the plug before the oil runs out.
          This method seems to be viable, and you could add two quarts if you wanted to. Personally I would have wanted a elbow with two male ends but this is what I had. The stock OEM plug fits in the top. Tossed a super magnet on the end of the OEM plug.

Bruce
          Attached Files

Comment

• Well look at you Mr. fancy!^^ ha ha.. Thats pretty slick there boss. What would be really cool is if that was a T-fitting and you could fill from the top and have a clear piece of tube to use as a sight tube between there and the drain plug so you can keep an eye on the oil cleanliness, level, etc. Granted its one more thing to leak but just a thought. I am going to build something like that for my divorced NP205 when I install it just so that I can keep an eye on it since I'll be rebuilding it and I trust my gearbox rebuild ability about as far as I can throw my Carryall. I like your current idea though, Very simple.

Comment

• Paul Meirop did something similar with his conversions though with an extension tube because the t-case lever adapter braket covered the port, so a street elbow and some pipe create a new filler neck that you could easily build a dip-stick for.

Since my NV4500 is tilted toward the driver's side from the Cummins/Chevy adapter I didn't have the clearance issue with the filler port, and similar to the "drive up on the curb" idea it's already tilted away from the filler plug so adding the extra quart is both easy and somewhat necessary.

If I could ever find the right PTO gear I'd get an extra quart or two from that as well.

Comment

• Alex, I'll continue to follow your posts. It is fun to make an old one run, isn't it?

Garrett

Comment

• Garret how is your build going ?

At one point you had a dodge dana 60 axle going in your rig . What changes in direction have you had over the last 3 years?
                  Me, I am looking at the plumbing for my hydroboost . Way fun.

Alex there is no drain on my NV4500. I had a T fitting in my hand and said "STOP". i have to stop building stuff . Anyways the elbow works perfect and the extra oil sits just at the bottom of the threads . A bit like the old lawn mowers used to have. Maybe a lawn mower fill plug should go on top.

Comment

• Bruce, Thanks for asking. I got married in July of 09 and we have had 3 children since then. As you know, there is a lot of work to finnishing all the windows, glass, gauges, interior, etc of a carryall. So I parked the project in my garage.

I worked on a couple other project vehicles I had for the past 3 years. a 1993 LWB Range rover classic that I purchased for 2k, That turned out to need a lot of work, new cam, head gaskets etc. A ton of electrical issues that are no fun. I was able to get that on the road, but we now drive it around the yard with my kids, they love it. I then picked up a roach of a toyota lancruiser fj55, I picked up a newer 2f motor and 4speed tranny and rebuilt it all, stuck it in. I then cut off the rockers, bottom 8" of the 1/4's and fenders replaced and painted. I stuck a few seats in it and have been driving that this summer. All this has allowed me to improve my abilities.

I plan on attacking the carryall sometime soon. I want to change the steering setup to a crossover style, at that time I will probably change the front leaf springs to modern dodge springs with a shackle behind the front axle. I need to move the motor forward a bit, and change the t19 tranny out to probably a Zf fives speed with a married t-case. I need to buy a steering column and then do the interior. A lot of my body work is done, but need to go back and make those changes. I still need to intall a roof as well.

The guys that have joined the forum and done restomods since I started have done an unbeliveable job, and I really need to go back and step up my game.
                    All the best, garrett

Comment

• door

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12138270@N08/11375600406/

Comment

• jump seat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349801963...84.m1555.l2649

Comment

• Linky no worky.

There has been a jump seat for sale on ebay for the last week, is this the same one?
                          I do not use face book for a number of reasons, and you have just come up with another one. All we got is a dead link.

edit - either that is a different jump seat or it got a coat of paint and better pictures. 500 bucks ? I think Alex WC53 just went up in value, once he gets the wheels painted and some Armor All on the tires.

edit deux - nope that is a different jump seat , two in the same month who would have thunk it ?

220,000 thousand hits

we are rocking, thanks to all for your informative posts.

Comment

• bruce, i guess the problem with the link is on your end, as it works fine for me. I tried to post the picture with the caveman technique to no avail.
                            Yes, I am the seller of the jumpseat on ebay. I also have headlights and door parts for sale as I'm selling off all the unneeded bits and spares from my wc54 restoration.

just redid the door link for 286 users

the jumpseat has been stripped, primed and painted...

when all else fails, blame canada! lol!

Comment

• my truck

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1213827...7623847858456/

Comment

• jumpseat sold, going overseas

Comment

Working...
                                X