No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ I am jealous of your progress! Looking very good!

I feel like all I am doing is putting body panels on, then removing, then back on then removing. Before I committed to my engine placement I wanted to get the suspension mounts done and the truck back "rolling" and it will be much easier to build the engine mounts with the suspension under the truck vs building the suspension under the truck with the engine in the way.

Pictures of my new method of madness. Purists turn your head. Nothing good to see here. Really going to blow a few minds when I say that I won't even have springs up front... http://oristruts.com/products/shocksstruts/st-strut/
    I built a pair of those "dummy struts" seen in the picture since the struts I ordered are still being built (custom order for my applications) and this way I can lock things in place at ride height, full compression, full extension, etc. They are deemed "racing suspension" but they can be just as easily adjusted to be used on the highway.

And these are probably the link end joints I will use. They use clevite bushings internally giving a modern OEM (not Carryall OEM but superduty, wrangler, etc) stock ride quality, but they are built super tough and easy to rebuild. Also, just like the struts I am going to be running, they are made in USA. Trying to keep that a common theme on this truck... Tires are made in Canada and I guess those guys are okay, :) so I'll let that one slide... ha ha.. Just messing with ya Bruce!

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Looking good

I am slowly getting at mine . Working on the drive line brake . I think it will work but the clearances are tight . So far the adapter is machined and it fits the NP205 very well .
      I should know if it will work this week .
      If I was doing it again I would order a Tom Woods drive flange that was indexed on the back for the M37 drive line drum .

Bruce

Off for a hike .
      I need a new source of income .... retirement pension is not cutting it .

Comment

• Looks great

That really looks great Alex. One of reasons I went with the Ford frame, besides it fitting the best was I thought I might get a little better ride quality with the coils up front. I definitely agree with you on the assembly/reassembly, seems like all I do is put things on measure, remove them, measure, put them back on. Over and over. I'm hoping once I get the inner fenders fitted, square and welded in that I turned the corner on the tough stuff.

Comment

• A teeny tiny step forward

Picked up the drum and adapter sleeve . I just slid the drum , adapter sleeve and yoke on to the NP205 . Everything fits and looks stock . The drum now needs to be attached or bolted to the yoke and the yoke needs a means to attach the drive shaft . Not quite sure how I will go about doing this because of bolt head clearance issues but there should be a viable solution .

Comment

• Parts swapping

The rear of my NP205 is Dodge . After a lot of looking it became clear that the Dodge speedo drive is only a little easier to find than Jimmy Hoffa . So I pulled the rear off a Chevy Np205 and will use the Chevy speedo drive which I seem to have a few of .
            So I just made the gaskets for the Carryalls NP205 and another set for the Chev NP205 . That keeps the Chev NP205 intact and ready to go , except for the missing Dodge speedo drive .
            The 1st picture shows the NP205 seal support and the NP200 seal and drive line brake adapter .
            The second shot is a couple of younger friends who go climbing with me . They are resting in their natural habitat . The whole purpose of building the carryall was to give folks like this access to the back country ...
            Attached Files

Comment

• Haven't done as much work on the carryall as I would like but here is a mock up of my air filter pipe

Comment

• It will be interesting how much BHP the engine creates

Should see an increase in torque too . you have done a great job on the piping . It looks good , the sweeps , curves and angles look like they belong there .

I pulled both my transfer cases yesterday . I tore down the NWF blackbox and resealed the whole thing . This unit did not have one mile on it but it was leaking at the front , the rear , the shifter and several of the plugs on the sides . The side plugs I can understand , they are more or less drain , fill or breather plugs but two of the front bolts were finger tight , puked oil and had no sealant around them . So I had to drain the transfer case , remove the NP205 , remove the shift linkage , jack up the trans , pull the rubber mounts and a bunch of other stuff just to get at a unit that was supposed to be brand new and ready to use but was not inspected as well as it should have been .
                Synthetic oil sure does stink . My wife came home and started to sniff the carpets in the house because something smelt bad . yep it was the smell of the oil drifting in from the shop . This was Royal Purple - not sure if Amsoil smells any better .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                  Should see an increase in torque too . you have done a great job on the piping . It looks good , the sweeps , curves and angles look like they belong there .

I pulled both my transfer cases yesterday . I tore down the NWF blackbox and resealed the whole thing . This unit did not have one mile on it but it was leaking at the front , the rear , the shifter and several of the plugs on the sides . The side plugs I can understand , they are more or less drain , fill or breather plugs but two of the front bolts were finger tight , puked oil and had no sealant around them . So I had to drain the transfer case , remove the NP205 , remove the shift linkage , jack up the trans , pull the rubber mounts and a bunch of other stuff just to get at a unit that was supposed to be brand new and ready to use but was not inspected as well as it should have been .
                  Synthetic oil sure does stink . My wife came home and started to sniff the carpets in the house because something smelt bad . yep it was the smell of the oil drifting in from the shop . This was Royal Purple - not sure if Amsoil smells any better .
                  What is NWF?
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    What is NWF?
                    Northwest Fab. They are the manufacturers of his underdrive unit.

Dieseldude, those bends look awesome! Very clean!

I've been out playing with my Jeep instead of working on the Carryall, and then busy with a week of work out in the field. Got back at the Carryall last night and pretty sure I ironed out the numbers for my front suspension setup for the links. Ditching the Radius arm idea because the caster change under bump/droop cycle were really bad and I don't want anything to cause these big heavy Michelins to have to adjust their direction or roll, or any force on them other than moving smoothly down the highway. With that being the case, I am going with a parallel 4 link front with a track bar, which is essentially the same front suspension that is under my Dodge 2500 Mega Cab Cummins truck. The numbers I've come up with give me 35% anti-dive under brake (estimated w/ 6300# rolling weight, 850# Front unsprung and 650# rear unsprung), and a pinion angle change of only 1.7º over the full 10" suspension travel range my struts will be allowing me. There appears to be ample room to package my suspension components under the truck, so now its time to start building!

Comment

• Just came across this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bldi3ooN86A

Forum member?

Comment

• Another little hinderance in my build .

A crack .
                        Actually four cracks .
                        Not sure if it will show up in the picture but there is a faint line traveling from the centre of the drum through a original mounting hole and continues out to the flange .
                        So the hunt is on for another drum . This one will grenade at some point or at minimum just fall apart .

edit ; yep the crack does show up in the photo and if you look at the top hole you can just see a crack there too .
                        Attached Files

Comment

• ^ Thats sad Bruce... I never like seeing setbacks like that. I'll keep my eyes open for a drum for ya. I am heading to an oldschool junkyard this coming weekend and he has lots of stuff out there. I'll see what I can dig up.

Comment

• Another bracket finished

this adapter bracket thingie attaches to the side of a NV4500 and it is then possible to use the old lever action parking brake arm . Only thing is a suspect that the arm will need to be shortened and they are not made to come apart . I will worry about that detail when the body gets dropped back on .

and thanks Alec but do not sweat it , I am pretty sure another drum will show up .

180,000 views - we might make 200 by christmas .

edit : i will show the bracket mounted to the trans and the lever in place once I get it installed .
                            Attached Files

Comment

• They say the last 10% takes 90% of the time... So hopefully me driving to get mine was the first 90% ha ha.. cause this is going a LOT slower.. but I'd rather do it right the first time. That being the case I have been playing with numbers and playing with numbers and the math was starting to make my head spin.. BUT I think I have it all nailed down for my 4 link. Very minimal caster/pinion angle change through the 10" travel that my struts will give me. I have found that playing with big jeeps with big tires that caster change is one of the biggest contributors to handling, wandering, and sometimes even death wobble for those that are familiar. I am thinking 2" x .250" DOM for the lowers and 1.75" x .120" DOM for the uppers.

Anyways, pictures of what I have so far. Working out the kinks on the axle end brackets and running the numbers for that setup now.

Comment

• Some better pictures of the LEGACY PW Carryall that they just finished up not too long ago. Beautiful truck but I think the price is near $170,000.00, if not maybe even more. And its still a gas motor. However this is the motivation I need to keep me working on mine. So many little things keep me out of the shop lately... must... keep... working...

http://www.bodybyelite.net/portfolio...odge-carryall/

Comment

Working...
                                X