The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound turbos

Impressive workmanship . I gather the smaller compressor goes closest to the intake manifold and the bigger turbo is downstream from there .
    I have an H1 feeding mine and a nice fresh Cummins rebuild H2 sitting on a shelf . Not sure if i will ever go for a compound set up but it is fun to dream .
    Hit a bit of a wall and I seem to be working on other things . I did get a new power steering pump can from We Are Surplus or Knopf Automotive . These guys offer great shipping and the prices are excellent - 7 bucks for a new surplus Delphi unit .
    I am not hiking enough because my trash truck is not on the road . I looked at a 81 carbed truck today - 82000 kms and I looked at a 94 TBI yesterday 145000 miles . THe TBI will run in any position and gets about 2 miles more per gallon . The fuel tanks , dash , wiring and carbed engine are a drop in on my truck. The EFI will last longer and the sheet metal is all good and I could recoupe some costs . But the wiring and computer would need to be transferred over and blended with my old harness . Both vehicles are the same price at 1000 bucks . THe sheet metal on the 81 has rust through .
    Not sure which way to go . I use the trash truck about once a week to go hiking and for the odd rescue call and fire wood .. Generally about 7 gallons of fuel per week .

Bruce

Comment

• Second oil feed line

Comment

• Wish I could drive it right now. Need to take apart and clean and paint engine.

Comment

• Sometimes I wonder about painting things first

i have approached builds two ways . Slap everything together , test drive , tweak some stuff and after a rest tear everything down and detail this and that . A couple of guys I respect will drive the rig for 2 to 3 years and then have enough energy to go nuts on a tear down and detail .
          The other approach is to detail everything as it goes together . By doing this you avoid the tear down and you drive out the door in a fresh truck . But more often than not a few things will bite back . My first run in my old rod was pretty much the case . Got about 10 miles down the road and blew and oil line .
          The whole undercarriage was drenched in about 4 quarts of oil . At 50 - 70 miles an hour that oil was everywhere and all that polished paint lost its buffed sheen .
          I think I am buying the 81 truck . Cab and wiring will be an asset .

Off to nail down some Japango flooring . This stuff would make great decking in a PW or floor in a Carryall . Hard , hard , hard . Did I say hard ?

Bruce

There is something therapeutic about the smell of running a fresh engine with new paint on it ......

edit - is your oil fill valve cover in the best place or the only place that it will fit ?

edit #2 - what is that elbow from ? The one on the lower turbo that fits so neatly between the turbo and the oil filter ? Makes your set up look OEM .

Comment

• The oil filler is where it was in the bread truck, it will get moved or changed.
            The cobra head came from here:http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW
            They have reducers too.

Comment

• Story

So it has been roughly 10 months since my carryall has once again adorn the road with her presence,
              I was out in the shop this evening puttering around sandblasting some small parts for Mammas jeep I have to say I haven't spent that much time out there lately, I came across the WC book, it was in my tool box, this is the composition book that I wrote everything in, parts, phone #'s, my lists of things to do or stuff to order, notes on something particular, or Articles that gave a better look or in site to something I was doing, when I came across the first draft story I wrote for Gordon about my experiences while resurrecting my carryall,
              There I sat behind the wheel of the truck reading this story it seemed somewhat surreal, I began to think about the whole thing all over again, not sure I would do it all again, perhaps the wounds are still a bit fresh, or I just haven't found the right lady to dance with as yet,
              What I can tell you is that My family and I have had a marvelous time in the truck this past summer.
              I had to smile as I ran my hands across the dash and around the steering wheel. it was a good day!
              S.

Comment

• thanks for that Scott

I can relate . A certain song , a smell or an old book once lost and found again can carry some emotions and memories and bring them back to your mind . I think the name Carry All fits right in . your truck is carrying some memories for you , that little sit or touch brings them back for you to experience again .

Side tracked from my rig for the next few weeks .

take care
                Bruce

Comment

• Carryall.

I'm sorry to hear that you will be unable to work on the truck Bruce, it is nice to go back in the forum and look at everyone's progress, from where they started to where thy are now.

Has anyone put disk brakes on a 1/2 ton? if so what did they use?
                  Did you build your own brackets? I have been in contact with Ray at Heli tool but he will not be back for a long time.
                  S.

Comment

• Disc brakes on stock axles

I have swapped disc brakes on to a few odd things over the years . All of it was pretty much my own design . These days there seems to be kits for everything . If you had a spare axle , a night school metal shop course , some GM or Dodge discs , GM calipers I think the conversion would be quite straight forward . i am running Dana 60 / dana 70 axles in my rig . Converted the dana 70 rear to disc brake .
                    Off to tear into a different truck .

Bruce

Comment

• carryall on ebay

Bit of a pile but it might be good for parts and there is a lower tailgate .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1942-...#ht_500wt_1182

Need some better pictures than what I see there .

Why is the carryall thread in the archive ? is this a good thing ??

Comment

• My life has been upside down with "other things" lately. Mostly work actually. I haven't done a lot, but do tinker some when I can and certainly think about it whenever I have free time. I have made a few decisions that may change the course of the truck but those are not here nor now things. I started to feel a touch overwhelmed with the sheet metal work and felt frustration and boredom setting in so I decided to move back to my forte of suspension and drivetrain.

However, I got my tailgate frame thing back from blast and epoxy coat and started to install the sound deadening. Using SecondSkin Audio stuff. So far I like it. Can really hear the difference from tapping on an uncoated panel segment and then tapping on a coated panel segment. Similar tick sound but much less reverb.

Threw the front axle housing under it and tossed a hub on just to get a feel for ride height and width. So far I am happy.

Pictures.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• few more pictures...

Still need to find two more new tires, and the axle needs to move back a touch. Took your advice Bruce on the forward wheelbase push but went a touch too far. Center pin in the springs are messing me up. I like the width though. Just a touch of tire outside the fender. I also like the ride height.

I think just to keep my motivation rolling, I am going to actually hang the engine and transmission inside to see what kind of space I am working with and to settle a few fears and also bring light to potential other problems. I know my Common rail is bigger than the 4bts everyone else has used, so... should be interesting.

Comment

• Lookin good

Smart move dropping the block in a wiggling things around a bit . Do not get focused on the front crossmember like I did . In retrospect I should have removed it , fabbed a temporary rad support , placed everything where I wanted it , and built the crossmember last .

steering box location

engine location

axle clearance

winch ... a receiver might be the smart way to go .

rad - there is more room to move the rad around than one would think and there are options - the early or late WC53 rad - yes there are two different rads used on the WC53 . The later rad is about 3/4 forward than the earlier model . and of course a custom rad would allow an air cooler to go in front .

looking good

I am putting down flooring in the house and bringing my trash truck back to life . until then no Carryall work ...... and my Black box transfer case is leaking - not the NP205 I rebuilt . Gotta pull the transfer cases .

Comment

• Thanks for the pat on the back. I actually need that every now and again as sometimes I fear I am going about things in a backwards way and I know you guys have been down this road before so at the very least you can warn me of the sharp turns and potential detours.

I've come to terms with possibly having to re-fabricate a front cross member. I by no means want to, but if its necessary, hey, it is what it is.

Both the radiator and the intercooler will be custom. Locally there is a shop that can source me the cores for both, tank caps, tubes, fittings, etc. The second big advantage is the 19 year old kid that lives two houses down, is a Titanium and Aluminum welder on the USMC Hovercraft located at the Amphib base across town. He is going to be my go to guy for when it comes time for the fuel tank, radiator, and intercooler to all get built. One of my college roomates lives only a block a way and he has a nice Syncrowave TIG that the group of us use when needed.

My current concerns are going to be firewall to SAE housing clearance. The Common rail is a Rear mounted geartrain so that has its own unique can of worms.

Axle clearance - The engine seller provided me with the correct parts to flip my oil pan to rear facing, and there is evidently room to modify the pan if needed to clear the axle some.

Steering - I want to go Cross over steering and run high steer arms at that. Front cross member looks a bit in the way already, so thats problem 1. Secondly I am considering a panhard bar as well to help with steering response, and maybe even some form of anti-sway bar. Then again I also have an entirely different suspension plan for a default, but thats my "neither here nor now" scenario.

Winch - I already have a fairly compact, and hydraulic driven winch. I am thinking about trying to find the PTO unit for the Allison transmission and using that for my winch power source. Otherwise, I'll tap into the power steering system, and not worry with hydro assist and instead run a big nasty AGR box or something. However, the plus to the hydro assist would be reducing the frame rail to steering box side load and may actually help keep the steering tight while driving down the road, as well as act as a giant dampener. However, my fear is that too much stuff on the PS pump, will be impossible to plumb. Then again I don't think I'll need my brakes or steering ram much if I am running the winch. Power steering pump to run... Hydroboost, Hydro Assist Ram, AND hydro winch... Plumbing nightmare.

Hoping to dig the Cummins and Allison out of the crate this weekend. We shall see though.

Comment

• another thing done .....

Got me some graphics , and I aged them , and I will age them some more with some paint . Not sure how long it will last and that is part of the charm .
                                Australia has a Sunshine Coast Rescue team ? Need a little surf board to confuse folks a little more . I got bored one night and went at it . Took about 20 minutes and it was more rewarding than say 6 hours to pull and replace a transfer case seal .

Rust removal and paint removal using electrolysis . On paint it can be hit and miss and can take a few days in the tank . If you want to speed things up drop in about 5 gallons of molasses into the mix . There are times I get most of it off and clean up the stubborn stuff with a 3m scotch brite type pad or disc on my 4 inch angle grinder .

Pictures we luv pictures on this thread .
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X