No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then I needed to get the axle end of the trac-bar built. I had planned from the get go to eventually tie my pass front link assembly into the track bar bracket just for cleanliness. I didn't intend to but actually ended up including the lower front strut tab as part of the design.

All of these parts are part of the trac-bar and trac-bar bracket. Took me a couple of hours to get the designs figured out.

And this is how close the drag link gets at full turn with the steering stops bottomed out, worse case scenario. I'd say it was successful in packaging. Now I just have to build the frame side trac-bar bracket and I believe I am going to need one small bend to kick the thing around the front diff cover and below the steering box.

Thoughts?
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Driver's side strut tower and the integral trac-bar mount. This picture reminds me that I really need to fill in the holes and back plate that area where the old steering box used to be. That looks like a mess with TOO much cross section missing from the frame web and top flange too. I guess with the old steering box there, possibly some load was transfered through the attachment but without anything there, that just looks like a nice twisty spot where the frame can flex. Frame flex is fine with the OEM leaf spring design. Its not fine with this link setup and the leaf setup I plan for the rear.

Anyways. More pictures for Bruce.

Comment

• That is funny

I was looking at the old steering box position in photo set 1710 and was thinking " man that is a big hole in the frame , i wonder what he will do with that " Are the plates and brackets for your front end cut on a computer controlled table ? Once you have a few miles on your truck there may be a few other truck owners interested in getting a few of those brackets .

A tiny bit of progress on the carryall but winter fire wood and house stuff is priority one right now . The exhaust is going to exit in front of the rear tire - no way around that .

Best regards

Bruce

Comment

• If you don't mind sharing your ideas, I would be interested in having that set up in my 4 door. That's a great job on the front end.

James

Comment

• Alex, you are doing some amazing work!

It is quite obvious to me that the work I have done should be cut off and thrown in the scrap dumpster....

If you become interested in lasering out some more parts, put me on the list. I wouls need some of the measurements for putting it together. I have a dana 60 front axle passenger side drop. I watched my brother try to put together 3 link 4 link setup for another truck, and it was not going to handle pavement driving very well. The level of thought required to do what you are doing scared me away from pursuing this type of design. I really wasn't interested in the link calculator on Pirate. There were just so many other body repair issues to deal with I didn't want to try to take on a link design.

Kudos, it is one of the best, well thought out designs I have seen. I can't wait to see where the rest of your build goes. Ps, I called lee after you did and tried to buy that truck... too late and I guess I know who got it.
            Keep up the good work - Garrett

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
              I was looking at the old steering box position in photo set 1710 and was thinking " man that is a big hole in the frame , i wonder what he will do with that " Are the plates and brackets for your front end cut on a computer controlled table ? Once you have a few miles on your truck there may be a few other truck owners interested in getting a few of those brackets .

A tiny bit of progress on the carryall but winter fire wood and house stuff is priority one right now . The exhaust is going to exit in front of the rear tire - no way around that .

Best regards

Bruce
              Originally posted by HRT5SLCFD View Post
              If you don't mind sharing your ideas, I would be interested in having that set up in my 4 door. That's a great job on the front end.

James
              I would love for this to become some form of a "kit". It will still take a good deal of welding and grinding from the installer, but the design, cutting, and overall fabrication, along with a parts list and a lot of the parts (as I have my sources nailed down pretty well) could all come from me.

James,
              I'm keeping all of my design templates, measurements, etc etc. The attachments to the frame are re-using exising holes for references so they can go on anyone's truck. I'll be needing window boxes eventually. We may be able to work out a deal!

Garrett, I was mid-this reply when your post hit above. Many thanks for the compliments, and yea I lucked out on getting this truck from Lee for sure. It was one of those at the right place, talked to the right guy, made the right efforts etc. I wanted this thing badly from the moment he offered it for sale.

The 4 link isn't a terrible thing, as long as you have the space, patience, and understanding of exactly why things are doing what they are doing. I've got many many hours in just the layout of this suspension weighing the pros and cons, etc. Fingers crossed I can button up a few things and get the weight on the front end and if the monsoon ever stops here on the East Coast, I want to roll it into the yard and get some elevation shots of it at ride height with the body panels lightly bolts back on it.

As for the parts, I forgot to answer Bruce above.. Yes, I have access to a VERY small Plasma table. The designs are all mine, and the machine can be quite a little monster to convince to do what is necessary when you want it to. I am usually working within the space limits of the machine, so often parts are made in segments and pieced together. Beyond all means I wish I was steady enough to hand cut this stuff. However, as with all tools, garbage in, garbage out so I try to limit the amount of scrap material I make while doing this.

Comment

• Alex is that an optical illusion

Your pitman arm looks like it is loose on the pitman shaft and hanging down at an odd angle . Is this the case or is it an illusion ? What happens if you tighten up the nut a bit more ? It looks like the arm would ride higher and create clearance issues at the frame . This is the middle photo I am looking at .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                  Your pitman arm looks like it is loose on the pitman shaft and hanging down at an odd angle . Is this the case or is it an illusion ? What happens if you tighten up the nut a bit more ? It looks like the arm would ride higher and create clearance issues at the frame . This is the middle photo I am looking at .
                  Bruce, I did draw up that arm a little after your comment. I had/have intention of having the arm replaced with something that is a little lower as my Draglink/ track bar alignment ended up about 3/4" off in final assembly so to prevent any bumpsteer at all I will need to correct the height of the drag link to match that of the track bar so in that I will have the pitman dropped 3/4".

Speaking of steering... got all that stuff squared away. Had to bend the 1.5" x .250" DOM tubing.. made a die, used some heat and had two friends come over and paid them in keg beer. The photos below are of the suspension at full compression and the steering at full lock.

Comment

• And lastly, the truck was able to roll out of the shop. The engine is leaning way far back because the transmission mount was not lifted up and bolted into place and is just hanging out on the frame rail lower lip, and the front ride height will come up not quite 2". I think its going to have a good stance and all of this extra modern stuff is going to be very well hidden behind fenders, bumper and steps. Only the tie rod is visible in the cross over steering setup.

Comment

• Clean and nice, can't wait to see the front end components all finished guested and ready to flex. As always great planning and work.
                      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• OOoooooh that looks SOOOoooo sweet

There is a Ford tie rod end that has the same thread diameter as the Chevy tie rod ends but the tapered portion is longer . I am pretty sure it works out to about 3/4 longer in length . This is the part that fits into the pitman arm and would in effect drop your drag link by 3/4 of an inch . Unfortunately I do not have the numbers . Perhaps your parts guy will let you go through his supply .

Got all my exhaust welded up , just have to locate the hangers .

gotta run , going hiking , I am the wheel man , my trash truck is about the only thing that can get to the base .

take care
                        Bruce

Comment

• Carryall for sale?

Was searching for a drivers side Power wagon fender, hoping to find one in better shape than the one I have. Came across this ad, might be useful to someone.

http://meadville.craigslist.org/cto/4121318528.html Looks like the location is Sigal, PA. Its listed as a 1948 Power wagon

Still need a good driver side fender though.....

Comment

• Good eye! I am going to try and snag this for a friend who has been looking for a few months now. He is stoked!

Comment

• A BIG high ten for Tony

Thanks for providing that lead to another ugly Dodge product that may go to a loving home . Tony you are the winner of this months Carryall thread NO prize . Now if Alex scores this thing he should shoot a bunch of photos and send them to me ....I will write up an article for the magazine . Dragging home more stuff is of interest to most of us . Like finding treasure or a mint #1 comic finding and saving a old truck can bring a truck load of smiles .

that thing is beautiful , I love the purple eye shadow .

Alex you need to find Tony a mint NOS fender ;-)=

Comment

• Good Luck Alex!

Hope you bring that thing home, would be great to see another one saved. Strange how I have more project that I can make progress on but I still look for Carryalls. Pictures sometimes look better than the real thing, but I looked at stuff that was half as good and twice the price, so I hope you can strike a deal on it. I haven't made much progress, I seem to be always waiting/searching for a part that works. I did get the steering gear in, have played with the steering column location and seats. Build some running boards out of aluminum that my Dad had. They were old hog trailer slats that were free, and I couldn't get any of the sheet metal guys around here to try to build what I had in mind. At least these were in the budget..... Gas thank has been fitted, but waiting on a muffler shop to bend up the filler tube. I plant to connect that to a Jeep fill nozzle and cut that into the body. Beat on the front fender a while, but the front lip was rolled under at some point and I can't seem to get it back to where I want it. Hoped to have this thing in primer before got too cold to paint, but primer looks more like a spring activity if I don't pick up the pace.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X