No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a really good deal locally on a brand new, but just sitting on the shelf, power steering box. Its a "Rock Ram" ported box built by AGR. The box is originally for a 1/2 ton - 1 ton '80s GM truck that was built to be used with crossover steering and a forward facing pitman arm. A 7" long pitman came with the box but my steering arms are only 6" center to center... so thats a problem already unless I can get my throw ratio corrected due to the box ratio being so deep. This box seems to be a slower ratio as its over 4 turns lock-lock so with that the 7" arm may be needed. Dunno, I'll have to work out some numbers on paper before I get too far into it. Looking to pick up an assist cylinder too, hence why I was so happy to find this factory assist tapped box for less money than a reman box even after core return. The assist cylinder I am thinking about is a small bore, like a 1.5"x.625"x8". This way the tires will still give me some caster return and the steering won't feel dead and blah like it did on my Wrangler with 42"s and a 1.75"x1"x8" ram. Too much volume requirements from the pump, and too much power over the tires gave me no road feel and so I had to spend more time visually chasing rather than feeling the pull in the wheel of road crown or ruts, etc. It was however quite powerful on the trail when bound up in the rocks.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Something is weird with that box

Chevy boxes from the 70s through to the body change in 86 or 87 bolted to the outside of the frame . From what I see your box bolts to the inside of the frame . So what have you got ?

edit - the chev truck boxes changed in 88 . truck boxes bolted to the outside and car boxes bolted to the inside of the frame .

So is that a trans am type box from a Pontiac ? I gather they are the hot ticket for swaps in Jeeps and Toyotas

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        the chev truck boxes changed in 88 . truck boxes bolted to the outside and car boxes bolted to the inside of the frame .

So is that a trans am type box from a Pontiac ? I gather they are the hot ticket for swaps in Jeeps and Toyotas
        Its a GM SM7 series Saginaw box casing with what I believe are car guts inside it to allow the pitman to rotate forward or "Reverse" as most refer to it. Its similar to the Astro boxes and stuff that the Jeep world uses for front stretches except the bolting pattern is different compared to the Astro Box and Delphi Jeep boxes I have on the shop floor. The box was "built" by AGR. I have an email in with their tech dept to trace back the original build info as the PN is something they no longer list on their website or anywhere else I can find for that matter.
        1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• If you look underneath the steering box does it have a 76 cast into it
          if so then it likely has the stronger internals, also that pitman am looks like a Jeep Wagoneer part.

Comment

• Got my pick up tube fabbed

The plastic part is a cut down Ford diesel unit . The stock Ford was too big .
            The screen is a stainless sink strainer , aviation wired in place .
            The weird kink is to allow clearance for the float on the sending unit . The sending unit is separate from the pick up tube .
            The top is from a old sending unit , I plugged it and cut it to size and decided to keep the ground .
            The flair was created by soldering a brass sleeve in place .

Both fuel lines are now in .

edit - pictures were on high res - will not load - no clue how to change that

Comment

• Turbo flange gasket

I tried to get a gasket from a North America parts dealer - they could not find one for a 93 or 96 Dodge cummins . So I tried to get a T3 gasket - no luck . I tried to get a gasket for a Holset H1C ....nope no luck . I then went to my small town parts place - no luck . So I went across the street to the Chrysler dealership . 32 bucks and change , I said " no thanks " i dropped by a local diesel place and they had one for me by the next day . They even added it to another shipment so I did not have to pay the 15 dollars freight .
              Total cost ... 7 bucks

edit : I remembered to change the settings on the camera
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                edit - pictures were on high res - will not load - no clue how to change that
                You'll need to save a copy in a lower resolution. Most picture programs will let you do it, most call it resizing or something similar. You'll need the photo size to be smaller then the 125 kb size limit. Just make sure you don't re-size the originals.

You should always try and take your pics in the highest resolution the camera will allow. That way if you want to zoom in to see some detail, or use them in an article for the magazine you won't end up with a grainy, blurry photo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                  You'll need to save a copy in a lower resolution. Most picture programs will let you do it, most call it resizing or something similar. You'll need the photo size to be smaller then the 125 kb size limit. Just make sure you don't re-size the originals.

You should always take your pics in the highest resolution the camera will allow. That way if you want to zoom in to see some detail, or use them in an article for the magazine you won't end up with a grainy, blurry photo.

This. :-)
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• iphoto is not user friendly

I have quite a few high res photos - to date I have no clue how to resize the photos - tried all sorts of stuff even "email " and the photos are still too big to email .
                    years ago I could change the res to whatever dpi I wanted - then I upgraded my computer and lost that little program .

Comment

• http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-P...-10319476.html

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

http://www.picresize.com/

...or google

best free software to resize pictures
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Google's Picasa program (not the site, the actual dowload and install program) will do this too, and I think it defaults to saving any changes in a seperate folder, or moving the originals to a seperate folder.

Its designed to catalog and organize as well as tie to their picture sharing site, but the program will also do a lot of the simple picture editing stuff like re-sizing and cropping without an account.

Comment

• turn signals /not stock but they look period perfect

I am surprised by what came in the mail today . I thought I might be getting the cheap stamped stainless lights with a equally cheap looking stamped bezel and plastic lens . Instead what arrived was a light with a cast bezel , cast body , and glass lens . I am not sure what treatment the light will get . A shot of red primer followed by some rescue green and then sanding back to black may be in the works . But it would be a tiny bit of green and primer - plan is for a green body and black fenders .

edit
                          Just came back from eye surgery , photo #3 looks normal to me ..... not sure how to delete a photo but I gave it a shot .
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Where did you get those?

Comment

• Got them from the big internet yard sale site

Ebay - I think there are two types , cast and stamped . They run around 35 bucks for the set . Try googling - bullet lights or bobber lights .

Bruce

Comment

• Turbo tear down .

I just removed the exhaust housing part of the turbo . Placed the remaining unit on a steel surface plate and checked the radial runout on the vane assemble .
                                Was about 0.029 sloppier than what is called for on the spec sheet 0.012 to 0.018 . It was not touching the housing and the engine was low milage but I suspect the bearings were pretty dry on several of the fire ups over the years it was in the bread van . In 20 years the 4bt only saw 44000 miles . Might poke at it some more tomorrow , not sure if there is any paint that would stay on the turbo housing , so I may not bother cleaning it up . Perhaps knock off a bit of flash and clean up the mating surfaces .

Comment

Working...
                                X