No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this for a laugh? Not all packing looks great after a few days. Actually this is a shot taken in the morning before we tucked stuff in its container. IMG_0357.jpg

Comment

• Well the top seam of the radiator had split along the front side top. i took a great amount of time to strip all the paint out and even made a few tools for the purpose. Ground the sides down on a hacksaw blade to make it thinner and used the teeth to scrape out any paint I could see . the top soldered up without any issues. The radiator fill neck was a different matter. i attempted to fix a tiny leak and made it worse. Went through at least 5 rotations of cleaning, soldering and pressure testing before I got it squared away.
      Also got the ratio adapter in and now the speed is accurate. What a difference that makes, I did not release how much math I was doing while driving and checking the speedometer with the old inaccurate adapter.

Comment

• this is a truly amazing picture, It really shows how purpose built your truck is. Thank you for sharing.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

• Well, despite all of the extra little problems with the "modern" electronics on this ISB170... the pay off is pretty good, this thing is a torque monster and just a beast. It idles pretty darn quiet and is borderline "sporty" to drive. Here is a little Instagram linked video of a pass down the street in front of the house last night. My face hurts from smiling!

194 Likes, 27 Comments - Alex J (@powerwagonbuilder) on Instagram: “SOUND ON AND UP! This thing is in #beastmode finally! My man Alan put in a long night with me…”
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Man that puppy sounds good, not noisy at all. you need to take it out more to work the bugs out :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
              Man that puppy sounds good, not noisy at all. you need to take it out more to work the bugs out :)
              Took it out again, and its got a squeal under boost. I found a loose boot last night in a hard to get to spot so I tightened that up but its been raining so I can't test it. Someone else said it could be the turbocharger exhaust turbine scraping against the pepperpot or the turbine housing if I didn't have them perfectly squared when I put them back together. The turbo shaft has more play in it than I think it should, BUT, I took it all apart and everything looked fine. I've got a rebuild kit on the way for it so next week I'll overhaul that just to be safe and know that the turbo CHRA is good for a while.

​​​​​​​https://www.instagram.com/p/BlwBTryn...erwagonbuilder
              219 Likes, 20 Comments - Alex J (@powerwagonbuilder) on Instagram: “@malloryhotmess first ride since turbo issues resolved, even though when I tag it a little harder I…”

Comment

• QUESTION!!!

How hard is it to get fuel in your Carryall? I'm having an issue with mine taking forever. I am wondering if my roll over valve / breather vent is stuck... or maybe in adequate. Also I think because of the short column height of the filler neck, and the length of horizontal run on my filler hose that is necked down to 1.5", I don't have enough head pressure to force the fluid into the tank and instead it actuates the back pressure valve on the filler handle. Just wondering if the "slow fill" issue is seen elsewhere or if I need to do some tank redesign.

Comment

• Desoto61
                  Desoto61 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Different setup but my PW is slow too, and that's with that fairly large fill tube they use. I don't think I have enough downward slope and get some pooling between the filler neck and the tank, so I have to keep the filler out of the opening or it backs up to the nozzle. Once I get closer to full I get foaming issues that slows me down. I thought the vent tube might be too small too, but while I had it out I also found that it had broken from the top of the filler and was hanging down so it may have been getting covered. I fixed it but haven't filled up to see if it helped. More slope would help but it's too late for that. Were I building a new tank I think I'd have added a baffle near the filler neck, that would both prevent sloshing from going up the filler neck as well as hopefully limit foaming into the filler neck.
                  Need to get some miles on mine to make sure I have no air leaks or other problems before I put 20+ more gallons of diesel in it though.

• Gary Weaklend
                  Gary Weaklend commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I start getting low on fuel I look at the gas stations to find one that has a 3-6 inch slope in the pavement. I then park with the front lower than the rear. It's best to park with the front right tire the lowest. Then I turn the nozzle upside down and put it all the way into the filler tube. I put my hand between the nozzle and truck to protect the paint. I'll post a picture of my grandson filling the Carryall. Look on the bright side you have a Carryall to put gas into and the longer it takes to add fuel, the more people will hear the story about your build. :-)

• I put a door in the side of the carryall and use it to fill. I have to fill slowly or fuel ends up on the ground because it runs through the overflow vent. I am pretty sure the issue with mine is I have a gas filler neck and the diesel nozzle is bigger than a gas nozzle. The diesel nozzle does not fit in the gas tube because it is too big. This winter I hope to change the filler neck to a diesel filler neck.
                If I was going to do it again I would hide the gas door behind the side reflector. We both have the same issue but the cause is different for each of us.
                I did not go back to one station for at least 2 months because I made a decent sized puddle on the ground when I was filling the truck and was not paying attention. I admit I drove off as if nothing was wrong but the puddle had to be 2 x 4 feet give or take.
                Good to hear from you - I will post some updates later today.

take care
                Bruce

Comment

• Its a pain. Mine has to be filled completely by hand or else you end up with gas sprayed everywhere. There is a little black art in it with different angles working better than others.

You get your front fenders & hood on there yet?

-jim lee

Comment

• I have the same problem on my other "Carryall" (it was converted to a pick up, I'll post pictures one day). It has the stock fuel tank and filler and it is very difficult to fill. The Carryall tank doesn't have a vent tube like the WC55 tank which I always thought was odd. The first time I filled that tank the air burped out and pushed gas out with it. I added a vent line from the top of the tank to the top of the filler neck which seamed to help, but it is still slow. I have the same problem with the spare tank on my Willys. The filler next swoops down too soon and you can't stick the fuel nozzle in all the way, it just shuts off the pump. Both rigs I have to hold the nozzle boot away so it doesn't shut off and fill slowly. Takes a while on a 30 gallon tank.

P.S. congratulations on getting your truck up and driving. Very exciting!

Comment

• Thanks guys! Yea, mine has a small vent on the opposite side of the tank that also has a roll over valve built into it so that if the seat ends up with liquid pressure on it, it will close. I need to try and fill it in a quiet location and see if I can hear air coming from the ROV vent or not.

Originally posted by jim lee View Post
                      You get your front fenders & hood on there yet?

-jim lee
                      Hood, yes. Fenders, no. I had to order a special drill bit to drill the back side of my boxed frame to get the fender to frame brackets on. Because of my 4 link bracket shape, the factory frame side plates won't fit, so I had to make a set of frame plates. Actually, I had to make all new plates for it because I didn't even have them to begin with and my fenders are off of a parts truck. I am awaiting another original BO Lamp mount to rivet onto the passenger side to affix my turn signal to. While that is in the mail, I am going to finish wiring up my headlights, turns, and park lamps for the front. I also need to weld back in the side half of my interior panel that I had to cut out years and years ago when I was knocking all of the dents out of the truck from the inside out. The truck is planned for a weekend of living inside the Virginia Beach Convention center as part of a vehicle collection for a Tattoo arts festival. Since this is a Navy town and the modern tattoo arts theme has a lot of history in WWII, they thought it would be cool to have my Resto-mod WWII truck in the convention center amongst all the vendors and artists that are doing tattoos, selling art, etc. My wife has a booth for her art every year so this year we are just going to load all her stuff in the truck, roll it into the convention in one shot, and then leave the truck where it sits after she sets up her booth. I'll share plenty of pictures
                      IMG_20180729_184525_331.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I loathe packing. It takes too frigging long and is just a tad stressful. The fellow who put this up coming trip together just phoned me. he admits he is toast " I keep finding things to work on"
                        My issue is trying to remember everything and find where I put stuff. Like my favourite headlamp. I do remember thinking "do not leave it there you will never find it", so i moved it...........but where?
                        Jim has a teaser shot on his blog - here is my version.
                        IMG_1640.JPG

Comment

• And here is a decent trick for dragging my chainsaw gas, oil and tools along and keep them out of the cab. Just find an old pack. Boy the perspective is off on this photo.
                          IMG_1639.JPG

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
                            Matthew Welcher PWA commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Genius idea on the back pack, I am working on mounting a WWII saw box on my WDX for wood season. I love seeing the way you use your truck.

• We're packing up today for a quick trip to Baker lake (Somewhat local to us). Hoping for 3 day 2 night campout. Fingers crossed that everything will hold together on the carryall and we can actually enjoy some R&R.

As for packing, the three tote deal really helped with that for us. Having all the kitchen stuff just "live" in the boxes takes out a giant chunk of packing stress.

-jim lee

Comment

• Ya'll are off on trips and stuff and I am still working out the bugs in mine. Thanks for sharing your adventures though, it keeps me motivated to keep turning wrenches on mine. Despite the unpleasant steering setup, I did take it out for a quick single exit 1.2 mile distance "speed test" despite some wobbles and shakes that came and went, it hit 68 mph and had plenty of power for more; to the point that I was actually surprised when my buddy who was following me said "Speed limit was 55, I didn't know we were going to go 68!" as I wasn't looking at my speedo because I was focused on the truck and making sure everything in it was doing what it should / ofcourse some car sees me and they want to fly up next to me and wave at me while I am doing this test... uggh, and so it begins.

I have the fenders and lights on it now. Running boards hopefully will go on tonight. I "think" I already have all of the mounts drilled out through the frame for those.

Attached Files
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                            X