No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Alex - So what was making the noise in the truck? I am under the impression you were trying to track down either a noise or vibration. Get 18" of the repair panel, you know darn well if you get 8" you will need 12" and if you get 18" you will only need 6" of repair panel ;^) It will be cool to see what Jim's finished panel looks like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
      Morning Alex - So what IS making the noise in the truck? I am under the impression you were trying to track down either a noise or vibration. Get 18" of the repair panel, you know darn well if you get 8" you will need 12" and if you get 18" you will only need 6" of repair panel ;^) It will be cool to see what Jim's finished panel looks like.
      Fixed it for ya ^^^..
      Still don't know. It wasn't the torque converter, could still be a gear noise in the transmission but am starting to wonder if it is a harmonic issue with the intermediate shaft, transfercase, etc. The video footage shows the transmission tailhousing moving around more than I expected it to. I wonder if it is a combination of driveshaft balance, transfercase slop, AND/OR driveshaft angular phasing issues. It has a "bearing" growl that comes in when you go from coast to a cruising load. Pulling a hill, it more or less goes away, decel to stop it goes away, but under light throttle at 45 mph and up, it growls / chatters, rather loudly too. Its frustrating because the truck is pretty quiet with the ISB, a nice muffler, and the Michelins are quiet too, for what they are.

I've got a spare transfer case that I am going to sling in and see if that changes anything. I'm also going to take the intermediate shaft, and both yokes to my local driveline shop and see if they can phase balance the pair. The yoke I have on the Allison was originally for a parking drum setup and I turned it down. It had balance drill spots in it, that are partially still there, so I wonder if maybe the yoke is out of balance some too and the vibration of that is running back up through the case. The intensity and volume of the vibration is road speed relevant, so a driveshaft relationship could be feasible.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Seam was sealed. He used some freaking expensive goo in there. I just sprayed the patch over with O.D. to blend it into the rest of the green mess.

Alex, love the videos! Here is his Shop number : 360 293-2175 Give him a call and you can order some.

-jim lee

Comment

• It looks like a great time, I always smile at those angles a true test of the truck. Any luck on the vibration or has it gotten any worse?
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
            It looks like a great time, I always smile at those angles a true test of the truck. Any luck on the vibration or has it gotten any worse?
            I put an electronic remote stethoscope on the rear axle last night and drove it around. I'm 95% certain the rear axle is fine. I could hear just the slightest noise of motion, but nothing that sounded out of the ordinary for what I would expect smooth running gears to sound like. I'll put the stethoscope on the transfer case tonight or tomorrow night and see what I get from that.

Here is a 4:30 minute video of the truck during a trip. The captions are just to give a feel of loads and speeds.

https://youtu.be/UO0xO40uKCU

Comment

• Did you get your sounds during the test video? I certainly didn't hear anything.

The bodies of these thing do make a **** of a racket. I found that most of my body noise was the rear gate banging around. Have you put in your weather stripping yet? I put in the weather stripping and it helped some. Now I jam in rags on each side when closing it and it that made a HUGE difference.

What are the cables hanging down in the video?

-jim lee
              Last edited by jim lee; 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Four door carryall ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lhd...&frags=pl%2Cwn ----------- lets see Dan take it out for a cruise:)

Comment

• Well, my Carryall is down and out, busted up...
                  The Allison literally blew up. Sounds like a rock quarry inside of the case in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. So 4th gear is 1:1 with no planetary gear sets moving, therefore I've got trashed planetary gears or at the very least have failed torrington thrust bearings. What sucks is with the amount of metal being made in the oil, the torque converter is of no value now and is trash too. I JUST BOUGHT IT and it was VERY expensive, but not worth the price of having it sent off and rebuilt.

So in the meantime I have found but need to put my hands on a used Duramax transmission. The silver lining is that I have learned a lot about these Allison 1k units and now could easily swap one into a lot of other machines.

Comment

• Desoto61
                    Desoto61 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry man that really sucks! Nothing I hate more than trying to do a job right and having it all go wrong. Getting my share of that with this new house, keep us informed.

• Torque converter - you have a lathe, why not chuck the torque converter in there and cut the weld? Once you peel the two halves apart you can flush it out, put it back together and weld it back up. That is pretty much what the shops do to the converters - some are darn expensive. Send us some pictures when you pull the trans and what you put in its place........I guess you now know where the noise was from? What year of Alison are you using?
                  edit: show some pictures of what you find...

Comment

• Oh boy! I feel for you. Have you pulled it apart to see what failed inside?

-jim lee

Comment

• For those that are following.. I posted an update to my Carryall blog.

-jim lee

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
                        Matthew Welcher PWA commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jim that is some fantastic fabrication and body work that you did there. I really enjoy following your adventures.

• Thanks! And, Happy Thanksgiving!

I wonder where Ale & Bruce are?

-jim lee

Comment

• Got the Carryall out for a run today. We took the wrong branch road and ended op on either an old logging road that was used for oxen or the hard tired trucks from the 1920 era. Lots of cross ties with planks laid on top that ran parallel to the road. My concern was hitting a nail, there was a lot of slick mud and deep water holes that the wood road crossed. in places it was intact and others not so much. I was going to take pictures on the way back out but we popped up onto a hydro line road and followed that. Of course we hit a gate and I do not have a key for the hydro locks - sure would like one. (I need some Best key blanks) Of course it is getting late, its raining and its just a tad dark. The solution was to pop off the road, drive down the bank and make our way through a thicket and pop back on the road. graham spotted me and I had zip in the way of clearance between two trees but managed to get through without touching either one. I thought I was in low,low range but once we got out I found out it was only 3 to 1 and not 6 to 1. I had a laugh at that. Truck is running fine but it does need some tweaks and after the mud water bath a good wash and grease job. I do not elect drive in mud - that was what we hit on the road and it was easy to get through. Mud is for frogs and aquatic life, not for thrashing a truck in. The road folks are starting to use that stuff that melts ice and rusts frames, when I see that the Carryall stays home.
                        I was looking at a place on Hyda Gway where you can drive 25 miles of beach, that would make for an interesting trip. Camp on the beach and go looking for washed up treasures would be a decent way to spend a few days......wel except for the rain.

take care
                        Bruce

edit: Jim thanks for the cost break down on your latest blog - it provides a great idea of why things cost so much and how they add up.

Comment

• Hello Bruce! Yes the cost of the window was a bit staggering. And there are three more. We'll see what we can do. Sure is nice to have a working one. Its like buffing & polishing one fender on your old oxidized car. Kinda' needles ya'.

Here's a picture of me 'n the kiddies Julie took this Thanksgiving. We were able to use the machine to bring everyone to our Son's college house (in background). It was kinda' like having a family dinner in Animal house. Was kinda' fun though.

tGivingAtDans.jpg

-jim lee

Comment

• Originally posted by jim lee View Post
                            Thanks! And, Happy Thanksgiving!

I wonder where Ale & Bruce are?

-jim lee
                            I'm here, somewhat. Just pouting about over the transmission problems and being too broke to mess with it right now between other things in life, and the holidays. I had to put down my shop buddy, Wheeler dog, back during Thanksgiving and also appear to have learned about some friends who weren't friends at all. I'm just having a tough go at life currently so I haven't been loitering around the forums much. I do enjoy all of you guys adventures and such, it has certainly helped me get my mind out of bad things a little here and there.

Comment

Working...
                            X