Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Case You've Been Wondering...

Originally posted by Bruce
    We all know that Norm can only afford to pay himself & Mopar Tina, (;~0) but you never know?
    Or maybe just a dream sequence?
    Ha! Ha!
    I'm still on this side of the dirt!
    Just a tad busy...= )

Been missin' you buddy! This side of the dirt is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
      Been missin' you buddy! This side of the dirt is good.
      There hasn't been enough hours in the day, so we just don't pay attention to daylight now....= )

Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll post more about this when I have time.

Comment

Seriously

That looks like a big project?

Comment

In Case You've Been Wondering...

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          That looks like a big project?
          It looks dark, too....
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            It looks dark, too....
            Ha! Ha! You are both Masters of the Understatement...= )

We placed 536 yards, from 3:45 AM to 9:30 AM, the entire building slab of 29,000 sq' ft' in one pour.
            We had 350 yards in place before the Sun came up.

It's a very small building by SoCal Standards. The building in the background was a Circuit City Distribution Center, 800,000 sq ft. Circuit City is no longer in business.

Laser Screed and riding machines. The only cement finishers working by hand are a few guys going around the perimeter. I hope to be completed by Friday of next week, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week is getting old. It will be nice to get back to my 40 hour a week grind.....

Comment

Heliport?

Norm,

Now you have a closer place to land your Bell Jet Ranger?

Comment

In Case You've Been Wondering...

Some have wondered where I've been and what I've been up to...
                On the 17th of April, we broke ground on a new warehouse building project. Not the best of times to be building a spec. building, there are dozens of empty building within a mile of this project, several MILLION square feet in total vacant space.
                The Building Owners had been trying to get a permit for over a year and when the permits finally arrived, it was build or lose the permit, so build we did.

This project started immediately on the heels of the repairs of my next door shop building which exploded and burned, so it's been non-stop since Oct 15th.
                So much for semi retirement....
                As posted in the hi-jacked (by me) "Appreciation Thread", we placed 536 yards of concrete in an 6 hour pour.
                Starting at 3:45 AM in the morning:

We had 350 yards placed before sunrise:

We were finishing and heading for home by 1:30 PM:

Comment

Contrary to the guess by Longhunter that this is my personal heliport, it's the floor of a 29,000 warehouse building.

This building is the largest "clear-span" building we have erected. Previously we could span 55-60 feet.
                  This building spans 122' without any interior support columns.

It makes a very usable space, with a lot of design flexibility and no columns to work around.

Comment

Yes, we had been wondering, and perhaps even worried.

Good to hear from you, Norm.
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Yes, very nice to hear from you Norm....

BTW, ALL the houses I have built could easily fit in that space at the same time, with a little room to spare ;)

Comment

That building is perfect for:

putting a whole bunch of old Dodges in.

Comment

That thought...has crossed my mind...more than once...
                          I even considered making the owner a deal, so I could use it until the building was rented.
                          However the building was leased for 10 years, just a few days after we started installing the shell.

Comment

Norm,
                            I too have wondered about your status, thought maybe you had been private jetted over to Italy for a month or so to consult with the Fiat folks about Chrysler issues!?
                            Wow, that is an impressive project. I am a DIY type person with my several construction projects on the farm, but always had a pro do my concrete pours and finishing, knowing how unforgiving concrete is to amateur screw-ups. The beauty of the pour you show in the pictures is a testimonial to professional management and coordination.
                            Finally, I know that there is no politics allowed on the forum, but I am glad to see some like you are hard at work to help with the income coffers in the golden state. It is embarrassing as an American (much more as a Californian I imagine) to see news stories about the insolvency of the "greatest" state, as the Governator calls California.

Comment

Hi Dave!
                              Sadly you are correct. The Once Great State of California is no more.
                              We once led the nation in Education, we are now 49th.
                              We once led the nation in highways, we now have an un-repaired mess.
                              We once led the nation in aerospace, manufacturing and agriculture, ALL at the same time!
                              We now lead the nation in crime, taxes, "fees" and the exodus of the middle class from here is unprecedented.
                              When a state fails to become a melting pot and instead becomes a politically correct haven for fictionalizing it's citizens into separate groups and cultures, all in the name of diversity, it is doomed to fail.
                              Society can have hundreds of ethnic groups living in the same boat, in harmony and prospering, if all the groups are pulling on the same end of the oar, for a common goal. When everyone demands their own oar and paddles in a different direction, the boat doesn't go very far...
                              California is not repairable in it's present state. It will have to fail and be re-built.

Comment

Working...
                              X