• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage

Very nice garage looks like you live in a great area. Rick Walker

Comment

this is like hard work!

I don't recall simple wiring being so physical! At 54 years old, I've been in the rafters and up and down a 12 foot ladder too many times to count in the past three days. I'm just about done with the pre-wiring. I included 3 50 amp outlets for welders and the plasma. Tomorrow I need to put a 30 am outlet for a lift. This is definitely a young mans sport!!! I thought I was playing twister a few times running wires through rafters.

Wayne
      Attached Files

Comment

You be-careful up there Pop's!

Comment

Wayne I know the feeling. I went to bed one night feeling pretty good. I woke up the next morning, looked in the mirror and wondered who this old guy was. You can't have to many outlets for power. I'm going to run more wire in my metal building one of these days and put in 4 plex outlets and more lights.

Comment

Ron: I wired for six light fixtures over the main floor. Then two more over the back bench and one over the side bench. The new T5 fixtures are BRIGHT. They work on 100-277 volts and do the job. In my opinion you can't have enough light...

I'm trying to figure out a lift now. I'm looking two post lifts. Ideally I would get a Mohawk A7, but the price is way too high for me... I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on lifts for a homeowner/hobby garage?

I did take a break from wiring today and took the '56 out for a ride. Drained the fuel out of the Deere and put fresh low alcohol gas and fuel stabilizer in the tank. Interesting, even on a 30 minute drive the PW never got over 140 degrees, and it does have a thermometer in it. Outside temp was 50.

Wayne
            Attached Files

Comment

I purchased mine from Greg Smith Equipment. I ended up getting what they now call the Atlas OH9000, though I bought mine probably 5 or 6 years ago now, but it is basically their best 9000 lb lift. It uses a direct drive lift system with a single point release. They have quite a few other options as well.

It's been a good machine, price was reasonable, and delivery wasn't bad. The web site is very informative and provides lots of pictures and suggestions.

Comment

Desoto: Thanks. I am looking at the Greg Smith lifts. They have store in Delaware so I could pick it up and save on taxes and shipping. I'm almost certain their lifts are made in China though, and I would have liked to be able to afford an American made lift. It seems like almost all the lifts are made in China today, except for some of the Eagle lifts and the Mohawk lifts. The Eagle lifts that are made in the US are about 2x the price of the Chinese, and the Mohawks, which are monsters, start at $7k....

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by wayneh View Post
                  Ron: I wired for six light fixtures over the main floor. Then two more over the back bench and one over the side bench. The new T5 fixtures are BRIGHT. They work on 100-277 volts and do the job. In my opinion you can't have enough light...

I'm trying to figure out a lift now. I'm looking two post lifts. Ideally I would get a Mohawk A7, but the price is way too high for me... I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on lifts for a homeowner/hobby garage?

I did take a break from wiring today and took the '56 out for a ride. Drained the fuel out of the Deere and put fresh low alcohol gas and fuel stabilizer in the tank. Interesting, even on a 30 minute drive the PW never got over 140 degrees, and it does have a thermometer in it. Outside temp was 50.

Wayne
                  Not to sidetrack your thread, but your photo takes me back to my childhood...the John Deere B...the Power Wagon...the flat field. They were all there.

Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Rotary is another line of lifts you could consider. I think they are considered to be pretty good.
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I bought an Eagle symmetrical 9000# two post lift, reasonably priced and works well. Getting too old to lay on a creeper!

Frank

Comment

Kevin:

The John Deere B is a great tractor. Eight years older than my Power Wagon. And even simpler. No water pump or thermostat, and no fan belt. Three less things to break or go wrong. It's only rated at 28 HP, but it will out pull my 35 HP diesel tractor all day long.

It sounds like I'm on track with the lifts. My neighbor suggested superlifts. I checked them out, but it looks like they are Chinese and out of business... I do have to keep things in perspective on the lift. It has to work, be safe and be reliable. But, I am not a full time mechanic, the lift will only get used on weekends, not ten times a day. We poured the concrete slab deeper where the posts go, and I ran some eight gauge wire in the attic to a box about where the lift goes.

Wayne

Comment

I have a 10,000 # Wheeltronics I bought used and it works great. Bend Pack makes a good lift from what I've read. I would suggest getting the adjustable truck pads for the lift arms. I had to make my own to lift the Power Giants I work on to avoid contacting the running board brackets. A lift is the only way to go anymore.

Comment

Well, if you remember how this thread started it was me asking about what lines to run to the new shop... I ended up with one 4" conduit and three 2" conduits. That sounds simple, but the pesky drive way was in the way... And the driveway had been repaved... Which means 4" of asphalt. Anyway, almost ready for the electrical inspection now....

Wayne
                            Attached Files

Comment

Your pictures are giving me the bug to build something!
                              Your Power Wagon looks great in the picture!

Comment

Making a bit more progress, but as expected things have slowed down a bit. The first bricklayer is now fired, and the new one has two days of work in. Our county took seven days to get the inspector out for the electrical rough in. Framing is all done now with the windows in. I ran air lines to four locations in the garage yesterday.

I'm doing a lot of reading on lifts. Wish I had the money for a Mohawk, but I think the Bendpak XPR-10 is more in line with my budget.

Spent some quality time on my '56 today putting in new "windlace" from VPW. Surprisingly not too much drama.

Wayne
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X