No announcement yet.

Blue Jeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Gordon Maney;2600]I ruined a pair of jeans today. I think I could sew the holes shut but I don’t think I could get the blood stains out. I got into my knee with my big chainsaw. Doing the wrong thing, cutting over my head, which I have done for years with my little saw, but this one is quite heavy; it is a Stihl 460 with a 24 inch bar. Pretty dumb.

Gordon,
    Glad you are O.K.
    Ice packing is very good for the first 48-72 hours after trauma, done three times a day for 5-10 minutes.
    I cut through my nylon faced brush pants with the chainsaw over my thigh many years ago. Only scratches, but it made me go out and get the Stihl kevlar chaps.
    Dave

Comment

...the new GREEN gordon...

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
      Good News - They don't require batteries. See the extension cord.

Bad News - It will take a very long extension cord to get out into the woods.
      just another bump to this OLD thread...

Gordon now utilizes a hard hat with a SOLAR powered battery pack for his safety chaps...

in order to stay abreast of the GOING GREEN frenzy gripping our country...

Comment

I just ruined another pair of jeans. They were good, too. The chaps didn't do me any good.

They were in the basement....

Same knee, different place.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          I just ruined another pair of jeans. They were good, too. The chaps didn't do me any good.

They were in the basement....
          Soo? Ihope your ok?
          TGP
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

?? Did you take another whack at your knee? :eek:

Comment

I skimmed off some knee skin. It was not as bad as last time. I am OK, but ruined some pants. I wore my chaps the rest of the day.

Common denominators are very tired and lots of branches on the ground. I need to learn from this.

Comment

yes Gordon...but it not a matter of needing more education I suspect, just application of what we already know...... Some accidents are due to something "unknown", others are due to things "unheeded" maybe.

Glad it wasn't more major.

Bucky

Comment

Be Careful Gordon

I guess I'm either real lucky or extra careful, I use a chain saw more at the "office" or kitchen than I do at home on the farm.
                  Some of the plunge work is done with Makita die grinder.

Comment

I skimmed off some knee skin. It was not as bad as last time. I am OK, but ruined some pants. I wore my chaps the rest of the day.

Common denominators are very tired and lots of branches on the ground. I need to learn from this.

Kinda tempting fate there, Gordon. Twice? Really glad you are okay. Things happen so fast with chain saws. I found out what a kick bar is the hard way. I had a log bucked up, and was cutting away, and then the saw was just 'off'. I don't think I even had a chance to blink...
                    Really glad you are okay.

Comment

Gee Gordon,,
                      Maybe you should get a smaller saw with a rubber blade?

Seriously two close calls in two years.
                      You need to prepare yourself mentally and physically every time you go out to cut.
                      Glad your Ok!
                      TGP
                      WDX & Misc. Pics.
                      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                      "47" Dodge WDX WW
                      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                      "54" Willys M38A1
                      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

What the....

Seriously man, gotta wonder what you were really thinking about. You are usually not so easily distracted...

Heal well, my friend!

C.D.
                        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                        1954 Ford 860 tractor
                        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Gordon....

...would it hurt you feelings if I were to NOT ask you to help with the next Rally woodcutting demonstration?

In all seriousness, I know you are a responsible person, and an experienced saw user. There are probably only a handful of people, who I personally know, who I would feel comfortable enough to trust in the same timber cutting at the same time I am, and you are one of them. With that said, accidents happen.

I don't know how to say this without sounding condescending, I am really trying NOT to sound that way. You have been an idol of mine for many years. So I have to ask - do you let someone know when you are going to be working with something that could become lethal?

Personally, there are some things I never do without letting SOMEONE know what I will be doing before hand. These include: working on a roof, climbing and greasing my windmill, jacking up a truck and working under it, operating a cordwood saw, splitting firewood, and operating a chainsaw. I prefer to have someone there helping, but just letting someone know that I will be working alone is better than nothing.

If it does nothing else, it assures that Martie will come out to the garage every once in a while, check on me, and maybe bring a cookie or glass of lemonade with her.

Now for my confession. I do not own a pair of sawing chaps...yet.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Clint,

Are you bringing that saw to Fairfield this year?

Comment

I admit to being embarrassed in sharing news of this event. I believe I am very safety minded. I hope in sharing this I can get people to think more about safety.

A thought that emerges for me in this moment is that it may be hard to know when you transition to too tired. I missed it twice, it seems.

As far as letting people know what I am doing; my nearest neighbor is a third of a mile away. My significant other lives 25 miles away. My dog does not know how to use a cell phone. So, I try to consider all that when I work.

Comment

I admit to being embarrassed in sharing news of this event. I believe I am very safety minded. I hope in sharing this I can get people to think more about safety.

A thought that emerges for me in this moment is that it may be hard to know when you transition to too tired. I missed it twice, it seems.

As far as letting people know what I am doing; my nearest neighbor is a third of a mile away. My significant other lives 25 miles away. My dog does not know how to use a cell phone. So, I try to consider all that when I work.
                                I don't think you should be embarrased Gordon. Owning up to our mistakes is one of the things that makes us men. The fact that you are willing to serve as a cautionary tale speaks highly of your character.

Comment

Working...
                                X