• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on all 4's just in time...
    Attached Files

Comment

Mechanical Clutch Adjustment

Manual is still on back order so another question.... is there some adjustability built into the mechanical clutch? I need to double clutch to get into gear sometimes, usually from a dead stop. Sometimes it's hard to get it in gear, other times it grinds a bit. I am not entirely certain of the clutch package condition as a whole. What I am assuming is the TO bearing makes a bit of a whine until I step on the pedal, so there could be a myriad of replacement issues to deal with, but I thought I would start with the more simple if it was an option.

Comment

Service manual just arrived and lo and behold they only discuss the hydraulic clutches. From what I have gleaned on the internet, what I am experiencing (no pedal free play and whirring TO bearing) is from a misaligned clutch. Could someone direct me to some specifics on the mechanical system to rectify the problem?

Have you tried to adjust some free travel into the clutch linkage to stop the throwout bearing from turning?
        Last edited by Gordon Maney; 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

"Calling Charles Talbert, calling Charles Talbert, please report to to the Red Courtesy Phone, pretty please..."

Comment

Will it go into gear at a dead stop without grinding?

Sorry, I first put my text in your post...
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Sometimes, it's sometimes hard to get into gear regardless and sometimes requires the double clutch. I haven't tried the linkage adjustment yet but will, I called VPW and they talked me through how to do it.

Comment

If it won't go into gear sitting still that suggests the input shaft won't stop turning. Either the clutch won't disengage because the disc is stuck to the flywheel or the pilot is seized [which is unlikely].

Comment

Good to know, thanks for the reply. I'll hopefully get some time to dive into it and an oil change this weekend.

Comment

What is the procedure for replacing these 4 part oil pan gaskets , seems like you ask 10 people and you'll get 5 who say to use RTV or equivalent and 5 who say dry. I am using the 4 part FELPRO cork gasket.
                    My thought was to go dry and use RTV in the 4 corners where the pan meets the crank seal, but what say the guru's...Permatex Aviation or...?

Comment

I would always use a non-hardeing gasket sealer. My favorite one over the years is Permatex High Tack.

Comment

Ditto on the Permatex High Tack.
                        It is a sticky, gooey mess to handle, but my oil pan is drip free.
                        John

Comment

Okay, and spread on all sides? And those little rubber dowels that slip into the front of the block, if I can't replace them (stuck in there pretty well, just sssttrreeettccchhh) is that a big deal?

Comment

What are you saying, you can't get the old ones out?

Comment

Yeah, I was tugging pretty good on them and rather than tear them in half I stopped tugging.

Comment

If you are removing these parts, tear it in half if you have to. You will just need to dig it out. Try an O-ring pick or dental tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X