Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep up the good work!

Bucky

Comment

• THANKS!

I very much appreciate the support!

Comment

• That tank is very nice! With everything we do, hind sight is 20/20... As for weight, just keep that tank's placement in mind when loading the bed and load the passenger side heavier to compensate maybe.

Glad you are back to working on it.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• Thanks KRB64!

Comment

• I am posting this ONE post as it relates to the trip, but am not planning on boring all y’all with details.

We (we being my wife and two daughters) have abandoned the cab-over camper + military off-road trailer

for an Aistream....

x86396B9C-0758-498E-AD15-BFFEE448CA55.jpeg

2004 International CCD 22’ (overall length); will sleep four
            adults when I’m finished with it.

I will be adding a 2” lift to the trailer, but that’s all the mods.

The interior needs a bit of work reversing the previous owners,
            ugly decorating, and the wifey gets to add her touches.

Anyways, feel free to comment! BUT this thread is about
            the truck and the trip, not the beer can house.

Comment

• Never had one but I admire them, the older ones anyway.

Good thing about this change in plans is you can always unhook and then go unimpeded into what ever: trails, towns, etc. And if you stop for more than a night your camp stays set up while the truck is free.

Plus your wife now gets to participate in the process!

Probably a sound move IMO.
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• Thanks KRB64

Yes the plan is evolving, for the better as far as comfort is concerned.

I just verified Saturday that the frame side extensions (“outriggers”) on the passenger side are all sagging, causing the floor to drop and the wall of the shell to hang lower by 1” to 2”. This has been documented as a special design weakness in this specific length and model from 2002 to 2007.

I plan to reinforce the frame with two new main rails of 2” x 4” steel tube, full length, 2” x 3” cross members, and angle steel struts for the outriggers. I’ve seen pics of this having been done, and it looks fairly straightforward although labor intensive.

oh well

Comment

• By the way, I have redone the bodywork, prep, and primer on the back of the cab. Hope to apply color coats next weekend and then complete the bed for installation.

Comment

• I'd say those frame extensions would benefit from beefing up since the roads you'll be traveling will probably be less than smooth!
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• FINALLY!!!!

The weather was not too cold nor too windy!!

I was able to apply the finish color on the rear of the cab this morning.

163.gif

164.gif
                      It has a few sags, and two drips. I may or may not wet-sand them out.

Also, I am now in possession of a new Gear Vendors overdrive kit; after the Airstream repairs, I will install this kit
                      while also rebuilding the NP 205 transfer case.

Then, the truck bed.

Then, the air conditioner.

Then, the transmission rebuild and clutch.

......IF I'm still alive!

Comment

• I'm sure you've had time to get all that done by now, and make a few trips to AK and back...

Any news?
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• yes, we are patiently waiting haha

Bucky

Comment

• Ha ha ha ha ha

NOPE

I almost don’t want to post here anymore due to the high level of embarrassment in failing to progress....

The Airstream we are planning to take on the trip was on jack stands from early February until end of June for the frame repairs. The work included fabricating and installing a new frame under the original, modification and fabrication of the three tank covers (fresh, grey, and black water), new galvanized sheet steel bottom covers, and installation of two new axles and two new tires. I still need to fabricate a spare tire carrier.

I paid a kid from work to help me, and he showed up about every other Saturday working on average 6 hours each of those days for about three months.

I have a lot of interior work to do as well including all new cabinet doors and drawer faces. The dinette benches and table had been removed, but I got them reinstalled two weeks ago. The ceiling cabinets are getting new “floors” of aluminum sheet to replace the warped veneer, and the six sliding doors need new tracks and new doors made. This does not include the work in fabricating a custom electrical box for all the 12 volt connections and equipment which was exposed, under the bed from the factory. That is complete.

I found a leaking propane hose when I was inspecting the piping after reassembly, so one more errand.

We have a shakedown camping trip scheduled for the second week of September and will use my 2012 RAM for that.

I have told my wife that as much as I want to finish the Airstream restoration, it will have to wait for me to finish the Hulk.

I requested four weeks off from work, in August 2022 which (surprise!!) was approved.

The official countdown clock is ticking...

I have to tell you that your interest and encouragement really helps- - - you guys are all right! Thanks very much !!

Comment

• Hope your shakedown camping excursion if fun and mechanically uneventful.

Where you guys going?
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• Thanks!! I’ll be towing it a little tomorrow before heading into the mountains

We’ll be trying a Thousand Trails RV resort(?) in Idyllwild, CA. Never been there; the next camping will be in Death Valley in late December

Comment

Working...
                                X