Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip!!

Bucky

Comment

• After ignoring the Hulk the last 9 months while working on the Airstream, I nearly amputated half the last distal phalanx of my left middle finger (also known as the "freeway finger") at work being assisted in loading a full 4' x 10' sheet of 16 gauge stainless up to a shear. Not sure exactly what happened, but it came in faster than I expected and I got in trouble. The shear did not cause the injury.

It's doing fine, and despite a couple of requests by me to return to work, I have been off for six weeks.

The silver lining is: I am getting a lot done at home, and since I requested to return to work a couple of times, I am not fearful of being prosecuted for insurance fraud if someone has been taking pictures of me working.

So, I have made progress on the Hulk: adding the fuel filler neck for the new in-frame tank.

IMG_6085_web.gif
      Hand-made bracket

IMG_6088_web.gif
      This neck was the best that I could find; not ideal, but usable.

IMG_6162_web.gif
      The bed floor in this location was rusted to swiss cheese, which I replaced with plain steel.

IMG_6164_web.gif
      This box will protect the filler neck, and be removable. It does not interfere with laying a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood into the bed.

After this, creating a door will be next, then plug-welding the bracket to the bed side.

Finally, doing the remaining minor bodywork of the bed and then painting it, mounting it to the truck, and modifying the rear bumper brackets to accommodate the swept-side bed.

Comment

• I also participated in a trail ride with my Army truck buddies in the Cajon Pass hills, northwest of Devore, CA a couple weeks before the injury (5th vehicle). It did well, but I found that it would pop out of 1st gear after a few minutes.

IMG_5985_web.gif

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the injury. Could have been way worse though huh...

Really nice filler box work. Probably will look stock after attached and painted.

Any more pictures of the trail ride? What's the huge rig in the rear?
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• Yep, coulda been worse for sure!

Thanks!

That's all I have edited. Not very many. Can look in a few minutes.

The last one is a 1990's M939-series 5-ton 6x6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M939_s...6%C3%976_truck

Comment

• 2021-11-11_parade_IMG_0132.gif
              Veterans' Day: Took a break and carried some VFW guys and their wives in the Beaumont parade.
              One vet followed on his scooter!

Comment

• IMG_0156_web.gif
                All the exterior bodywork on the bed is finished except the fuel door and scratch-fill;
                next is prepping and painting the underside.

As of yesterday, the truck is at an old guy’s shop getting the clutch done (and surfacing
                the flywheel if necessary); and while he has that for 2-3 weeks, I’ll go get the
                transmission from him and rebuild it and return it for him to reinstall.

Comment

• More of the trail ride:

IMG_5961_web.gif
                  Small view of the more than thirty military vehicles present (WWII to current inventory)

IMG_5969_web.gif
                  Prepping for the ride

IMG_5982_web.gif
                  SUNNY, HOT, AND DUSTY

IMG_5990_web.gif
                  End of trail, ready to head back. Seven more behind me. The 5-ton split off
                  and went back at the 3/4 mark.

Trail was northwest of the campsite near Lytle Creek Firing Line (California).

Here's a link to a YouTube vid of the event (hope it stays valid for a while!):
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJjjx3wY74

Comment

• Cool, thanks for sharing.
                    Couple good shots of your truck there. Was that 91/93 Dodge a Cummins?
                    Lots of burnt trees...
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• The red truck in the first pic, I think you’re right- the gray truck is a former military Chevy with a diesel

yep, lotsa burned trees

fires up there every year

Comment

• Actually started the transmission work:

1978 NP435

170.gif

171.gif
                        One level cup of scraped dirt

172.gif
                        Scrubbed with brass toothbrush and gasoline

173.gif

174.gif
                        Looks nice

175.gif

179.gif
                        CLEAN

180.gif
                        Ready for cleaning and inspection.

I have a kit with added synchros (although it looks like I may not need them); the kit included
                        several Chinese bearings, so I am awaiting delivery of replacements for those.

Disappointed, but that's the world we live in today.

181.gif
                        The Hulk in the shop for the clutch.

Senior mechanic Gene worked on these when new; he found a few extra things to be addressed.
                        The shop will also resurface the flywheel.

The rear main seal is not leaking at all.

They are waiting for me to bring the transmission back to them.

Comment

• So not much metal in the oil then? Figure out why it's popping out of gear?
                          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

• No metal!

I haven’t done a thorough inspection yet

Comment

• 183.gif
                              The bosses (hope that's the right name) for the shifter were loose in the tower. They had been
                              crappily peened but that didn't last. The bores were oversized, as well.

Not sure how they were installed at the factory; and I can't make new ones because I don't have a lathe.

I created new ones using grade 8, 3/8"-24 hex screws. I hand-ground the bosses to .310"-.315" diameter
                              (couldn't make them perfect), ground the tower boss lands square, and tapped the original holes.

184.gif
                              I will exchange the lock washers for internal-tooth if I can find some locally, and use blue Lok-Tite.

The test-fit with the shifter gave noticeable difference in precision of movement.

182.gif
                              The flywheel is ready.

Comment

• Those transmissions are such joy to clean the gunk off of.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                                X