• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out with the old, in with the new!!!

20220711_181423.jpg

20220718_192433.jpg
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• what number of trans is that? I have had my NWF reduction box out 4 times - not my favorite company - they talk support but do not respond to emails, asked for a schmetatic of the box - so I got things together correctly and they never replied.
      Hope this trans works for you - been too long since you posted and i pretty much gave up posting here because the rets of the WC53 community seems to not want to put in the effort to keep us updated on what they are up to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        what number of trans is that? I have had my NWF reduction box out 4 times - not my favorite company - they talk support but do not respond to emails, asked for a schmetatic of the box - so I got things together correctly and they never replied.
        Hope this trans works for you - been too long since you posted and i pretty much gave up posting here because the rets of the WC53 community seems to not want to put in the effort to keep us updated on what they are up to.
        Its technically the 3rd transmission, but its really only the 1st GOOD one... its been just a symphony of bad luck since the start.

Probably the first transmission was good but the yard I got the donor "complete" drivetrain from, provided the WRONG TCM (they sent one from a Chevy Truck) and then the converter was actually trashed too, and I had no way of knowing. I installed the TCM and convertor and first the transmission wouldn't respond at all.... Then when I got the correct TCM (which I have a spare now too with the same programming installed) the transmission was making converter noise out the gate which it then ate itself in about 200 miles, and was full of metal and bearing pieces.

I then had that transmission rebuilt... but the guy who rebuilt it didn't go into the rear planetary set, even though thats where the bad bearings were. I paid him for parts, labor, and bought a new converter. Installed it all and it was making the same noises from the tail section that it was when I pulled it all out after the first time. I notice in the "used parts box" he provided that there were tail-cluster gaskets still new and not installed and he admitted to not breaking open that part. He then disappeared from communication, and then I later found out he was fired from his day job for stealing parts or not installing parts that were paid for by the customers, and then reselling them on eBay or other places as new in box.... he's a crook.

So, I found a used cheap takeout transmission from a Chevy 3500 2wd with 250k miles on it. I swapped the parts over from my Industrial SAE 3 unit to make it work and installed that transmission. It has worn clutches and the E-valve was sticky but it worked but I didn't trust it.

This transmission replaces the tired but working unit that was in it for the last few years. Its got a billet converter with a touch higher stall, to help with some EGT and boost things. It has updated bearings and seals, along with a shift kit and E-valve mod kit to prevent it from sticking if the truck sits for a long time, which is common on these Allison units.

I am going to modify my engine mounts some too while I have this thing all apart. I don't care for how much twist I was getting and for the angle of things either. I added a torque arm setup as a temporary fix but am going to fix all that correctly while the body is off.

I also am going to finalize my air system and shifters for my T-case, replace a bunch of my sheet metal screws in the floors with actual rivets now that I know that I like my setup and the body comes off with a post lift rather easily.

The fuel tank needs a vent for filling as well. I am going to connect two different vents actually. One that vents from the far side of the tank and one that is a tube that just goes down through the filler itself, kinda like the vents on the old Ford trucks.

Gotta finish the interior and I will reach out here to see if anyone has pics and dimensions for the window winder mounts, etc. If they matter on location that much.

NWF... they are hit or miss it seems. I know guys with good luck and guys with no luck with them. I have their flange on my TCase and thats about it.

Comment

• What are you doing for windows and winders? Are you building window boxes as original? I just glued my rear windows in place - less rattles and water issues. I now have all the winders so I may have the windows rollup and down - at this time the boxes make a great place to store stuff when camping, cell phones, books, glasses have a safe place to park while taking a nap.

Comment

• I have all of the glass cut and framed already. Nice tinted glass actually. I have all of the winders and such but just no boxes and the box mounting locations and brackets inside the truck are all missing / were cut out so I'll be starting from scratch.

Got the transmission yoke machined down smaller to give me more room under the cross member hump. Trying to get this big engine and transmission stuffed under this cab without having the truck sitting 800 feet tall is a trick indeed. The yoke was originally the big parking brake flange style. I couldn't use the truck version one because the tailhousings are different and the seal wouldn't fit.

20220727_204204.jpg

Comment

• Sweet - check out " Make it Kustom" on You Tube Karl does some nice work and you can go to back vids and see some neat tools he has made. A craftsman who shows some neat tricks with simple tools. The two of you would get along in a shop just fine:)

Comment

• Transmission is bolted to the engine. Wasn't too terrible of a fight for a 325 lb beast before 4 gallons of fluid. I am going to re-work some of the drivetrain mounts to get things more flat. I am operating at too steep of an angle and need to fix that.

20220728_184641.jpg

Comment

• Went with a change to my engine mounts. I went with the LORD hydraulic filled mounts which required me moving my mounts from the front saddle to the mid- engine.

Talk about sneaking the brackets around things. Sheesh.

20220803_175809.jpg

20220830_074633.jpg

20220830_074719.jpg

Comment

• Got it back together enough to take on a beach run. This thing does awesome on the beach! SOFT soft sand a few days out there too and even only airing down to 20 psi it walked the beach well.

Uggh, I'm on the wrong computer to post photos. I'll update this later with some pictures.

Comment

• Getting this closer to roadworthy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Not sure how many visit here anymore. But.. who all has put a more modern frame under their Carryall? Just trying to look at repairs vs replacement. Like to get in shape to pull a trailer in the back country as a last hoorah for us both.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X