No announcement yet.

Power Wagon mud race truck build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to know on the recess. I will call Vintage tomorrow, but I looked at their catalog and didn't see any replacement parts for the lower windshield frame. Only thing I saw on there was that the lower portion was hard to come by and usually not in stock, and to me that means you will need to give us not one but both of your nuggets.

It's cold here too, I'm glad I finally got my shop built last spring, the last 2 winters I was working on the race truck inside two garage in a boxes setup lengthwise, not the warmest environment during out winters here in Oklahoma where the wind never seems to stop. With the new shop and 4" of open cell foam on the roof and walls, I've been able to keep it between 40 to 50 degrees with just two little electric oil radiators on when I'm out there. It will really be nice when I get my permament heat solution installed.

Thanks for the compliments on the projects. I just can't stand to not do something. Even when I'm sitting there watching TV, I'm doing something else. Work caught up with me today and I've been working on my real job issues all day with just an hour break for the drive home. With the progress I've made today, I'm hoping to get to spend quite a bit of time tomorrow out in the shop and will start figuring out what I'm going to do with the window channel.

I really don't want to make it stuck to the cab. I have a working window crank for it and after most of my runs, I can't see out of the front windshield, so I end up hanging out of the drivers side door so I can see.

I won't be putting glass back into the windshield, it will be a sheet of lexan. Right now I plan on starting the repairs in sections on the lower portion and just start tackling the repairs and I have dead time waiting on other things.

The paint bay will work that I'm building, I've built one like it before when I was renting a house with a 2 car garage when I was working out in Charleston, SC. I sand blasted my 69 Camaro on a pvc pipe/plastic box and then rebuilt it with new plastic and the filter/fan supports and sprayed a coat of epoxy on all the parts before I moved back home. It worked very well keeping out debris.

I checked my shipment tracking tonight and with luck, my fenders and my steering column parts will arrive here tomorrow before the 4 to 8 inches of snow does. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

I do need to get some more lead supplies ordered for the truck so that I can get the body work on the cab done once I get it sand blasted. But I have to finish getting the truck test fitted/rough assembled before I can tear it back apart and blast it. Then I will put the cab back on and steering and haul it to my brothers shop where we will put the roll cage into the truck. Once the welding is done, then I can paint the cab and then all the other body parts as pieces. Once that's done I plan on getting all the mud out of the inside of the frame, then filling it with spray foam and then brushing por15 on the frame.

Glad people are enjoying the build, to me that's the best part of it all, all the problems that need to be solved and figured out.

Comment

• Well, UPS found my house with the little snow we have on the ground, but FedEx declined to delivery my two boxes of steering column parts. I hate fedex, I've drawn them maps and have to call them just about every time they have a delivery to my house and I end up searching for where they threw it.

Didn't get much accomplished, tied up with work again. But did get my rear fenders in so I had to unbox them and hang one to make sure they got them right this time. They did and I think they will work pretty good.

Managed to get one bolt hole drilled and the center bolt in.

Comment

• Got home late today, but Fed Ex finally delivered my steering wheel and column kit. I spent the little time out in the shop looking over the kit and figuring out what else I would need to pick it up.

Then I drilled the rest of the holes on the inside of the fender on the drivers side to finish bolting it on. I ended up having to cut off the lip on the inside so I had room for the washers and nuts. With 7 bolts holding it on, it's pretty stable, but I still plan on adding supports both front and back on it.

Comment

• Spent the afternoon making fender braces for the drivers side rear fender. Took some 1 1/2 x 1/4 strap to run along the face of the fender and bolted that onto it. Then welded some square 1x1 square tubing on angle where it was square with the bed to the plate. After that I welded to flat tabs on the bed side of the square tubing for bolting it onto the bed. I have both the front and back braces built for the drivers side, the passenger side should move a little faster now that I've built and figured out one side.

Comment

• Comment

• With figuring out how I was mounting the rear fenders yesterday, the passenger side went pretty quick getting it mounted and supported.

So today I mounted the passenger fender and built one of the radiator hold downs. Tomorrow I'm going to build the other radiator hold down, build the support for the battery boxes to mount too and finish up the seat mount. Then I can get to work on the steering. The back of the truck is almost finished and ready to be taken back apart for sand blasting and paint.

Radiator hold down bracket really looks crooked in this picture but it really isn't

Support as I was making it.

Comment

• Passenger side fender supports

Comment

• Shots of the truck with the rear fenders mounted.... I've used a boat load of 5/16 x 1" bolts

Comment

• You are making great progress! That truck is awesome

Comment

• Busy day out in the shop today. I made the last hold down for the radiator and then removed the transmission cooler and brackets and then the radiator so I could drill the last hole needed for the front brace on the fender support on the passenger side. I then cut out a plate for my main power switch and mounted it on the back of the truck with some self tapping screws then drilled and test mounted the switch. After that, I had the spacing needed to mount the battery trays and my water to air intercooler ice chest on the two 1x3 rectangular tubing segments. That finished up what I had to do with the bed of the truck, so then we spent an hour completely dismantling the bed.

Then I moved to the front of the truck and welded on the brackets that I've needed to weld for a while for the grill/fender support in the front and the rear fender support. Once those were welded on, the front fenders, inner fenders, grill shell and hood were removed. Now just the cab is left on the frame. This will make it easier getting the steering column built I hope.

Second radiator support

Rear battery and ice box support bars

Comment

• Main Power Disconnect

Comment

• Everything in the bed mounted and ready to tear it down

Comment

• Front fender brace welded

Rear Fender brace welded, still need to put a gusset on these braces

Comment

• Disassembling

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X