X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd M
    replied
    Merry Christmas to everyone.

May you and your families be healthy in the coming year and for those recovering from something already may it be quick.

I would also like to wish that everyone’s project moves forward without any unforeseen hiccups.

Leave a comment:

• Todd M
    replied
    Well it has been a very long time since my last post.

I finally got the headliner in. Took two of us 4 hours. Definitely a two person job unless there are tricks I was not aware of.

In the process I discovered the upper windshield trim piece still needs to be painted.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Welcher PWA
    replied
    Todd, hope you are well. Do you have an update on this project?
    How about a few pics of your new projects?

Leave a comment:

• Todd M
    replied
    Merry Christmas everyone. I wish you all the best. May you and your families be safe and healthy this coming year.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Wilson
    replied
    A few days late, but Merry Christmas to you guys, and Happy New Year.

Leave a comment:

• lanceh13
    replied
    Merry Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• Todd M
    replied
    Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a wonderful new year. May all your projects go smoothly this coming year.

Leave a comment:

• Todd M
    replied
    Texcwa,
    I have the turn signals that mount on my fenders and are not LED so the 3 prong flasher I have works with my led tail lights. If I were to replace them to be LED I will have a problem as you suggest.

My cowl lights i plan plan on using as running lights at this point. I did not think of using them as turn signals as you did. If I had know this I would have welded up the holes before I had my fenders powder coated.

Matthew
    thanks for the help with the low oil pressure. As discussed that piston and spring seem to be in good shape.

I will drain the oil and see if there is an issue with it. I have too much according to my dip stick and that may show a larger issue.

Leave a comment:

• texcwa
    replied
    My freshly rebuilt 218 (not 230) has in excess of 40 psi oil pressure at startup and while driving, I have never noticed it dropping down although I have not driven it more than a mile at a time so am sure that when the oil heats up the pressure may drop a bit.

As for your turn signals, as I mentioned, I just installed mine. You are correct about getting a good ground from the Signal Stat to the steering column. I actually added a ground wire to the cab for a better ground. Also, what flasher relay are you using? The standard 3 pin relay (like the ones VPW sells) will not support LED lights. You will need a flassher that works with LED's. I am not running LED's but read up on this when preparing to install the system. I also changed the cowl light bulbs to dual filament amber bulbs (had to find from a motorcycle parts supply sense these are short bulbs) and using them as my front turn signals (I do not have the lights that mount to top of fenders).

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Welcher PWA
    commented on 's reply
    Glad you got the turn signals straightened out. I have never installed LED Turn signals and I am fairly sure you will need some type of resistor but not positive. Check your charging system with a volt meter and see where things are at voltage wise with your charging system to start.
    Now onto the oil pressure issue. That is low. As a rule being that low is a tolerance issue or a clearance issue with internal bearings, main and or cam bearings, including the rear journal of the engine block for the camshaft.
    Lets take a look at your oil pressure relief valve in the side of the motor. Down by the starter in the side of the block is a square plug that will house a piston and spring. Pull that guy out and inspect the piston and spring. There is a heavier spring that can be installed in there and may help a bit. We can hope. Give me a call if need be.

• Todd M
    replied
    Originally posted by texcwa View Post
    Tod, Just finished installing turn signals. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Texcwa,
    Thanks for the offer.

Spent the afternoon trying to figure out the wiring for my turn and brake lights. 1st issue was to tighten the positive from the battery, 2nd ground of the signal stat to steering column was not sufficient, 3rd learned that I needed to test with a regular bulb that pulled more amps vs my rear LED lights. 4th had to file off some powder coat on the front fenders for the turn signals to ground properly.

All the the wires are now temporarily in place and will be soldered in the coming day.

Ran the truck to verify verify the gauges and noticed two things that I would like people thoughts on. 1- the amps barely read anything and moves very slightly when the lights are turned on and off. 2- oil pressure is around 5 in idle and 10-15 at higher rpms.

Fuel guage is still not hooked up.

Leave a comment:

• texcwa
    replied
    Tod, Just finished installing turn signals. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Leave a comment:

• Todd M
    replied
    Headlights working

Felt supper proud today when I got the headlights working. Of all things I have done on this truck getting them working was the best. I had been putting the electrical off for months now and basically I have run out of items to do so basically I am forced to get it done. My youngest son helped in making sure I had the floor dimmer and the headlights tentatively wired properly before he headed out to work. Had all the items to get them soldered except for larger rings that I needed for the grounds.

We will tackle the turn signals and brake lights tomorrow. I have studied the turn signal wire diagram and wonder how I will do it without the flasher. I had not planned on this and it seems to lead to the power.
    FC2C7B06-6E17-46C8-B2EC-3B1EC67056F2.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
    On the glove box springs when I put them on, I fish them through the bottom of the square glove box holes, hook them to the slots on the hinge and slowly close the door and let them hang.
    Then I use a pretty beefy set of 10 in slip joint pliars, With both hands i squeeze tight and pull it forwards towards me and hook it on the dash. It can be tricky but after a coupe dozen times it does get easier.
    The trick I learned and used was to take a piece of lockwire or similar, twist it into a loop and you can put that over the hook and then use vice grips or pliers to get some leverage on the wire so you can hook the spring over the lip, then worse case just cut the wire and pull it out. Worked well.

I don't think the box changes anything about how the springs work IIRC. Could be a bent spring or something with the attachment points.

Leave a comment:

• Todd M
    replied
    I have not been able to locate my rubber bumpers since I started on the windows. So I can not say how they go or if it would be trouble. Although with my windows cranked all the way down it looks as if I would have room to get them in.

I was was not aware that the doors had weatherstripping until a couple of weeks ago so I still lack those. Neither of my vehicles came with them so I made the bad assumption there was none.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X