No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS - that sucks, I thought you were on a upswing. Just enjoy every day and the bad ones tough out best you can. I have been through a long meat grinder that goes from one thing to another and there have been days that walking up the driveway pretty much does me in. And I said the same thing as you to my doctors 20 years back " I am 40 and have the energy of someone in their 70s that was 20 years ago. Right now I have an issue that I have not told anyone about, and will add it to the list at my next doctors appointment. The last year has been pretty good and I know I should be more pro active about getting out and exercising and what not, but at times the battle seems endless. That is why I am taking off this weekend. We need to get out more and learn how to play. Jim seems to have that down pretty good. You need to do something rewarding and silly with your Carryall, if at all possible. Please keep us posted and if you need a sounding board I am available and you can contact me via email. Too bad we are so far apart, a sounding board and bull poop session over a beer a walk or sitting in a cafe can take the edge off at times. Just do not let it grind you down, honestly I have been there, perhaps you will have the same good turns as me.
    Schedule 40 is great stuff, got a few parts on my carryall that are made with the stuff.

Best regards
    thinking about you
    Bruce

Now how on earth would you and I and jim get together for a weekend with our Carryalls???

Comment

• Crazy engineering. How is this for gonzo, stupid, twit fab? What you are looking at is a 1/2 inch drive universal joint from what I think is a cheap chinese socket set. Everything is butt welded with wire ffed.
      IMG_0471.jpg

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
        Matthew Welcher PWA commented
        Editing a comment
        I would say a possible field expedient repair that turned into a more permanent solution. wow.

• Desoto61
        Desoto61 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to both cringe and yet admire the inginuity and problem solving involved.

• 12 volt fridge - has anyone used one? Whats your experience? I see ARB, Norcold, Engel and Domestic ones advertised but am not sure what to look for or what is pooh and what is well made.

Comment

• I have a Norcold 60 quart...it is an older one with the steel casing..they are absolutely great....I think the norcold and Engel are the same thing.

Comment

• We could always head east..
          -jim lee

Comment

• Pulled the rear drive shaft today - not a simple job - long term I will have to make it easier to pull the shaft but to do so I will need to make a new emergency brake drum. I am tracing down a vibration and found some slop in the cardon joint universals. I may run the whole thing over to Pats drive line and get it checked out.
            I want to go to a military wrap for my front spring - I am taking the mains over to Vancouver and will see if I can get a set made - also looking for the plastic leaf spring wear pads.
            I destroyed a tire - never done that before - looks like there was something real sharp under the snow when I went off the road - shredded the inside of the tire and peeled off all the lugs on one side of the tire - its a real mess and is now the designated spare.

Comment

• Still have not gone to Vancouver, the drive shaft is in the garage and the Carryall is dead in the drive way. Planned on going last week but the ferry crashed. People were stuck on the ferry for over 10 hrs. This messed up my trip because there was a backlog of folks wanting the ferry the following day. I will get to Vancouver sometime when the planets aline.
              My back up camera failed - I ordered a new one - it did not work. I chased down all my wiring and found no issues - then I got smart and did a bench test with a different camera and wires - the stupid new camera does not work - old clouded pooped out one does and one for the front works too. Just sent an email off to China - we shall see what happens from here.
              Stupid camera.

Comment

• Hi everyone I’ve been watching all your wonderful builds for awhile I just joined and would be a pleasure to chat with you guys!
                thanks
                shawn

Comment

• Welcome to the community. Chat away. Are you building something?
                  Driveshaft - got a new one on order - seems the old Cardon joint was pretty much worn out. Got a military wrap leaf being made up for my front pack too. We shall see how that works.
                  Messing with a few different things on the truck. Will update - if the rain ever stops falling.

Best regards
                  Bruce

Comment

• Ya Bruce I got a wc53 that I just found but sure wish I could of got that one out of Washington that was a beauty the one I got is in good shape but I’m going to have to try for some difficult pieces

Comment

• Where in B.C. are you from Bruce I’m your neighbor in Grande Prairie Alberta

Comment

• I am on the Sunshine coast, a ferry ride and quite a few hours away.
                        What are your plans for the WC53?
                        Where did you get it from?
                        Post some pictures, no matter what it looks like they are cool.
                        I have been in the shop attempting to take a save off the edge of my brake drum. Cutting it in the lathe was not working, I did make some serious red metal sparks but the metal must be hardened in some way. So I wrapped the drum with tape, used a bit to mark the tape in a straight line and I ground off the offending metal with an angle grinder. I then put it back in the lathe and trued up the edge with an abrasive disc I had from another job. Tried some other tricks but this one worked quite well. I need the extra room for the soul reason that it is not easy to get a wrench on the drive shaft bolts - this should help - in theory at least. IMG_0489.jpg ​​​​​​​

Comment

• That mess in white in the above photo is a combination of weird perspective up close photo, silicone sealant on the edge of a transfer case cover.
                          IMG_0492.jpg

and here is the super sophisticated grinding machine, that trued up the edge.

Comment

• 61EFED7C-D65B-4D96-96BA-A49340914500.pngD898A74A-991D-4EDD-A108-797AA952B7AF.png8321DB83-23AF-4259-B519-D39BF5C7FE0D.png I will be doing a 4bt nv4500 conversion it’s really straight unit just need bits and pieces 0273CF8C-7653-4DBB-A22A-CEAB49A05AF1.png

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
                              Matthew Welcher PWA commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This is a beautiful WC53, Thank you so much for sharing. Keep us all in the loop on your build. Thank you for joining!

• Tailgate battery box being a few E28D78AE-5F2B-4D6A-BF40-5CD71626EABD.png

Comment

Working...
                            X