Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Bruce the one I’m looking at is a shell in manatoba

Comment

• Is the panel your talking about a dodge? Cause if it is I think I’d rather go with barn doors

Comment

• That is where the one I had my eye on is parked. We seem to be in the same province - is this one on its lonesome or does the seller have a bunch of other vehicles that he has collected? The panel was parked beside the carryall in the photos I have seen . The carryall that I am thinking about is just the body but looks very intact with most major pieces there. no front end sheet metal or rear fenders. I have yet to get a price on the body - moving it out this way strikes me as expensive and is the main reason I have not gone after it ............... yet.
        Odds are high we are talking about the same yard - I just checked the site - the dodge panel has "no doors"

Comment

• Old style steering column? I treated myself to a new steering column during my build, it has the common Chev wiring harness for turn signals, horn and hazards. Considering the amount of time I have put into this column and the expense I may have been better off building my own. The steering wheel has been off four times to deal with a short in the column. Ididit runs the wires down the column tube and the steering shaft rotates inside the column right near the wires. The shaft wore through the wiring and for the last 6 months I have not had the use of the horn. Last week the issue was dealt with.
          IMG_0498.jpg
          I pulled the wiring out, drilled a hole in the bell at the top of the column, tacked in a tube and notched the bottom of the tube to allow the wires to exit without contacting the end of the tube. The end result looks like the old style columns that had the shifter tube running down the side. One of the hot rod boys saw the results and is thinking about doing the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fireridge View Post
            Hi guys finally got my 53 delivered the guy lost the drivers side hood on the way up from Idaho kinda sucks but oh well I found a carryall 1/2ton with complete tailgate would you guys think I could retrofit it to fit my 3/4ton thanks
            The amount of work is almost not worth it. You're better off to have a 3/4 ton gate built from scratch. They really aren't that complex if you don't mind not having the compound curve. I might have some of my old templates from building my gate. I basically made a bottom plate and framed it out from there, and then made my corners and sides and then skinned it from the center out with some clamps, it warped a minor amount but is decent enough for a WWII truck.
            1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
              Old style steering column? I treated myself to a new steering column during my build, it has the common Chev wiring harness for turn signals, horn and hazards. Considering the amount of time I have put into this column and the expense I may have been better off building my own. The steering wheel has been off four times to deal with a short in the column. Ididit runs the wires down the column tube and the steering shaft rotates inside the column right near the wires. The shaft wore through the wiring and for the last 6 months I have not had the use of the horn. Last week the issue was dealt with.
              IMG_0498.jpg
              I pulled the wiring out, drilled a hole in the bell at the top of the column, tacked in a tube and notched the bottom of the tube to allow the wires to exit without contacting the end of the tube. The end result looks like the old style columns that had the shifter tube running down the side. One of the hot rod boys saw the results and is thinking about doing the same thing.
              Bruce, I built my own column and couldn't be happier with it! I even machined the main shaft for it and adapted the IH Tractor wheel and custom horn button that uses M37 button guts. It works well. My wires are inside the column only for the top inch or so and then are in a nice old style braided loom running down the column. I have the cliche old Signal Stat 900 for my turn indicator so it all looks era correct, or at least post war modified era correct.

I day dream of the day I can build my own "resto-mod" steering wheels for these types of trucks. Won't be much of a customer base, but I know how it could be done, and the machine work isn't that complex. Dunno, probably not much money in it though because builds like these are always done with a budget in mind.

Comment

• Took mine over the scales at the local scrap yard (I had a bunch of tin, lead, and brass to get rid of) and this was the final number after unloading with just me, no interior, and about 6 gallons of fuel. Turns out its not quite as heavy as I feared, but loaded with fuel, friends, coolers and the interior it would be pushing the 7200 lb mark I bet.

IMG_20190501_133904_956.jpg

Comment

• I keep saying " I should have used more aluminum" pretty sure I could have shaved a 1000 lbs off the truck by doing so.
                  My brake pedal has gone hard and I need to push more than usual to get the truck stopped. The steering seems to be normal - I talked to West Texas Off Road and have spent a few hours trying to figure out which component would create the issue - to date I have all sorts of advice but the hydro-boost seems be the most likely item , followed by the MC. We shall see.
                  $bay Global Shipping - I finally got my head around why the shipping prices on $bay went up and why the shipping takes 2 to 3 times as long. $bay ships everything back east to some centre and the item then goes to Toronto. This is nuts. I have started ordering items from other sites and some items are cheaper to purchase from local venders. I have two Hydro-Boost kits in the mail - they will take quite a few extra days to get here over USPS would take, like at least 10 days more.
                  Now you have me wondering what my truck dials in at.

edit - My transfer case no longer leaks, tightening up the back of the case or the new seal fixed the issue, no more little drips under the skid plate.

Comment

• Making some mods to change to a different MC. Here is a video from a couple of years back that I had not seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iy...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Comment

• Bruce how to you put a picture up that says it to big I’ll send pictures of that body in Manitoba

Comment

• I got 2 353 Detroit’s out of gama goats I’m trying to figure out a auto to put behind them I was leaning towards a th400-th475 and putting a over under gear vendor on what u guys think

Comment

• I was thinking 4l80e or definetly the 1000 Alison but I’d prefer to keep electronics out of it

Comment

• Pictures - if they are too big I find I can export them to my desktop or a folder - when I do this it asks for format or size and I knock it down usually as a jpeg - I can then post them here.
                            Got some wrenching to do and I will drop by later if I get the job done before midnight :). Pictures sounds like fun to me , when you post here the drop down menu will have several sizes too choose - the larger ones are better to pick out details from.
                            I just machined an adapter for my master cylinder - the input rod comes in different lengths. I had never seen this done before and yesterday a machinist told me he was not sure that it would work - just found out summit sells them and some after market master cylinders have the adapter as part of a kit. Looks a lot like a bullet. I have never seen one before.
                            353 detroits - how road worthy are those puppies?

Comment

• C2C63F57-6C8C-438D-8C51-CA3F665006D1.jpeg

Comment

• That is the 353 US military gama goat engine

Comment

Working...
                                X