The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jim lee View Post
    Next few months? I'm trying to get this poor creature back on the road for this weekend! Does stainless lend itself to being welded to mild sheet metal? 'Cause it looks like that's how they installed them.

-jim lee
    No, but my intention was to modify the attachment brackets to use some hardware.

Next few months, yes... as in hopefully by Thanksgiving honestly. Unless its worth it to you to make it worth it to me, to change my order of operations and get to working on the window pans here sooner than later.
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Alex and Jimmy, this was about 15 years ago but I made four window trays and welded them in. I put drain holes in the bottom of the pans and ran a rubber hose through the panel to under the truck so it would drain out. I sealed it and applied POR while the panel was open. I welded in new angle iron and tapped in new nuts for the window panels when the old ones were too far gone. There was also a lot of lose metal and rattling on my Carryall so I welded in new bracing around the windows. I haven't had any problems until last summer when the tray's drain holes filled up. I just got underneath the truck and blew out the hoses and the water drained out. Stainless would have be better but I have no way to weld it.

Window trays 5.JPGWindow trays 6.JPGInside paint 2.JPGInside paint.JPG

Attached Files

Comment

• there are a lot of temporary fixes that should work for a decent amount of time until you can get your hands on a new box. A new box made from steel and painted with epoxy and then sealed with paint would outlast the truck. What causes most of these boxes to rust out is dirt and organic matter that holds water for months on end.
        You could line the bottom of the box with fibreglass and then seal it with a top coat of roofing tar. Lining the bottom with some sealing tape could work too. Another possibility is to build a temporary gutter out of flashing and place it under the existing box. these methods though temporary could last for years. I new I should have cut the boxes out of that wreck up in Barrier.

Comment

• I posted this on DPW forum, but by now its probably lost. So I'll repost it here for the Carryall folks.

I'm letting one of my favorite local fabrication shops have go at making up the window box. I gave them the old box remains, we chatted and they took notes. They worried about the bits that were stamped and said they would be kinda expensive to do by hand. I told them to stop worrying about it and make it as close as possible..

In the past I've been really happy with their work. Also their "expensive" is usually pretty low. Either market price or below.

We'll see how this one goes. If it goes well, maybe they can make more?

-jim lee

Comment

Comment

• Test

Comment

• Wow, I forgot how to post.
                Jim, if your metal guy doesn't work out, I have a full set of window boxes. Each set will need to be line up to your truck before the brackets that hold the small regulators bolts. Let me know.
                James

Comment

• Good to know about the possible boxes, Thanks! I may need to grab them. (I really hope not)

Does anyone have one (some) of the little metal spacers that go between the crank mech. and the mounting plate? I've lost one of mine. They look like really thick little washers.

-jim lee

Comment

• Send me some dimensions and if they are a nominal thickness I can cut ya some.

Comment

• Pooh, I just pushed a button and all my text was replaced with an old post. No way could I go back to what I had just typed.
                      My truck has a new vibration, not sure if I bent a drive shaft or have dirt on a wheel but it is noticeable at 50 miles an hour. Got in on a tough trail and had to keep going to find a place to turn around. In one deep spot the front bumper was on the ground and i was leaning on the seatbelt to stay in my seat. the ground was not seriously rocky, more gravel type stuff with a lot of brush and a few rocks tossed in.
                      Was out at a different spot on monday for a hike. We decided to hide my truck in the bush, to lower the chances of vandalism. You could not see the truck from 60 ft away and the tracks in where pretty tough to see. on the way out the scene looked pretty nice. but the photo of that nice scene kind of sucks. this is Graham and his cool dogs on his birthday. 4 hikes in 4 days, that is pretty good for me. graham is standing in front of the road we drove in on. IMG_0430.jpg

Comment

• You're worrying about vandalism way out in the sticks? That's pretty sad.

Getting stuck on a deteriorating trail where you can't turn around is one of my nightmares. That was my big fear when we were doing the WABDR. Never really sure if you're on the right trail or not and it looks like the road is getting worse.. If I'd gotten to the point where my bumper was hitting the ground, I'd have been a wreck!

-jim lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Weaklend View Post
                          Alex and Jimmy, this was about 15 years ago but I made four window trays and welded them in. I put drain holes in the bottom of the pans and ran a rubber hose through the panel to under the truck so it would drain out. I sealed it and applied POR while the panel was open. I welded in new angle iron and tapped in new nuts for the window panels when the old ones were too far gone. There was also a lot of lose metal and rattling on my Carryall so I welded in new bracing around the windows. I haven't had any problems until last summer when the tray's drain holes filled up. I just got underneath the truck and blew out the hoses and the water drained out. Stainless would have be better but I have no way to weld it.
                          Gary, thanks or posting the pix, I've been squinting at them a lot. My window box and body-rot hole is getting repaired as I type. What is POR?

Alex, don't worry about the spacers, I'll just make up something here in the shop. thanks for the offer though!

-jim lee

Comment

• fixingWall.jpg

Had an issue where the side of Franklin's body had rot holes under the window. This was letting rain water run inside onto Julie's pillow. This had to be taken care of before we could do anymore camping. Winter is here and the PNW is wet.

After calling around, I was told to go to a local body guy that did custom work. We chatted and came up with a plan. I'd already pulled out the rotten window box. He said he'd cut out the rot, I'd take the truck to get the rotted area sand blasted then he'd weld in a new bit of metal. I had a piece of carryall side that Mark gave me when I bought the machine as a donor chunk.

The sand blasting happened yesterday and showed up that there was more rot than we thought. (Friday) This morning (Saturday) I dropped by and he was finishing up replacing the entire area under the window. About two to three times longer than the original donor piece I gave him.

How?..

He used the donor to make up a set of sheet metal dies to stamp out yards of carryall body molding! I was amazed! As I stood there he was erasing the seams, with a mig & grinder, about as fast as you could erase a pencil line with an eraser!

He'd started last night and was nearly finished by the time I left this afternoon. This would have taken me a month at least to make a horrible mess out of.

So if anyone has a carryall with rot in this body seam, they all do, he has the tooling to make up new side panels.

-jim lee

Comment

• Sealing the seam.
                              I used some flexable seam sealer where those two panels meet. The sealer separated within the year and my plan was to strip it all out, epoxy the seam and then try panel adhesive in the seam.
                              This would keep the water out, and if not stop the rust it would certainly slow it down. Not sure if I will go that route or not. There has to be a decent seam sealer out there some place but I do not know what it would be. That is a great shot Jim. Funny thing is carolyn sleeps on the same side of my carryall. Our heads are at the top end as well. It will be fun to see a few more updates on this nice piece of work.

Bruce

Comment

• Got mine driving again. Its noisy still with no insulation on the floor and lots of panels rattle around but it rides very nice, has sporty amounts of power, stops very well, (I actually need to back off the rear brakes some more with the proportioning valve) and also, I had it to a top speed of 82 mph the other day while testing it. Truck runs 65 EASILY. I have to actually try not to speed around town.

Jim, mine needs just a few inches of that seam... sell me some? Or get me in contact with the guy? Literally I'd buy like 8" or something.

Here are some videos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpiRaGmj...erwagonbuilder

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpikdzcj...erwagonbuilder

Comment

Working...
                                X